FF7 - Cloud and Midgar + tutorial

Hi everybody,

It’s been a long time since I wanted to share my work here, so let’s dive in! Here is a render I made a while ago

And above all, I want to share the process I used to create it. I made 2 jpg tutorials which are quite huge (3600x18000 px!) and I can only share the links here:

You can download the files from the upper links, but please be patient, the loading is sometimes quite slow due to the file size.

If it can help, I’d be glad :slight_smile:

Peace!

Hmm, overall I’d say the scene lacks detail, both in geometry and in color. The grunge on the sword on the other handseems too strong.

While negative criticism is well received i’m sure Matou would like to hear some positive points as well as the negative. Especially with all the hard work he’s put into this!

Anyways! the scene is very well made and the attention to detail is very well done on your half! I love the sky texture and also how well you made cloud (especially the hair!).
You might want to include some more detail on the open wasteland between the ruined city and the ledge cloud stands on! and lie Onyx said, remove some of the grudge or make it not as strong! but really good work and keep it up!
Check out some of my work and give me some advice too!

Thank you for sharing your hard work. Well done!

cool i am a ff fan myself, ff7 is still the best of course

I wonder if you ever watched FF7 Advent Children. As the setting for the image is very similar.

From the FF7 movie.

However I agree that the grunge is far too much for the sword.

And I am curious as to why Matou made Midgar as nothing more than crumbled junk really when the city itself is standing in the original scene. And not hard to copy either given it’s a distance shot so no real need for detail.

The original scene has more contrast, and more details imo.

Thanks a lot for all your answers and comments!
Just to be clear, this render is totally a (not so good) copy of a scene from FF7 Advent Children the movie (even if I used 2 or 3 different references).
I wanted to make a study to see if I could re-create something already existing to free myself from all the “conceptual” work, and just test my technical skills. I made a destroyed city (Midgar) because I really thought it was destroyed in my references. This is not very accurate… :frowning: I should have looked better.

Anyways, thanks a lot for your constructive feedback :slight_smile: I take note of the lack of geometry/color details, and the too strong grunge effect on the sword.