File browser in blender not showing files

I’m not sure when exactly this problem started since I know I was able to import a few .obj files but since wanting to dive back into Blender this issue started appearing.

So I go to import an .obj file. I know it’s location so it should be rather easy. Yet upon opening the file browser via File>Import. I see no files at all. Thinking I had some filter on by accident, I fiddled around with it. Still nothing. No folders or files in My Pictures’ folder. I go back to Documents and I see all my folders. When I take off the filter I see all my files as well.
Same thing happens when I just go to open anything I’ve worked on in the past. File>Open. Nothing in folders past Documents.

Why does Blender only see items in my Documents folder but no where else?

@LandriAker What verssion of Blender it’s official release from blender.org ??
What OS ??
You checked Show Hidden box?
Or maybe look into console window.
I had problems with file manager on Ubuntu, but that was Blender Trunk build and now it’s fixed.
Regards

Windows 7. I’ve checked Show Hidden still nothing. Not sure exactly what you mean by console window. Only folder that shows anything is my Documents folder. Every other one appears empty.

Hi @LandriAker
Is this official blender, or svn?
In menu bar is Help button there should be a Togle Console (or similar) option that will popup a blender console window.
And try to run blender with “run as administrator” by right click on blender.exe
Or try Load Factory Setings in File menu of blender
I dont know, just guessing.

If that still not help create some guest acount on Win7 that will be able to install aps and logout to that acount and install blender and try if its able to see in other folders"" - but this is only my advice !!!not!!! solution that could solve your problem.
I haved some policy issues on my Win7 - that prevent me to open some of my own folders even if i was on my administrator acount.

– On my Ubuntu i’m actually working Blender cannot see folders or files of my root folder that is folder i cannot acces (open) when i’m not logged as root (owner of this folder) And maybe in Win is somthing similar
P.S. I’m not a IT guru just simple user…
Regards

Continuing the discussion from File browser in blender not showing files:

you ever find the solution? lol

I’d also like to know if you found a solution, my Blender seems to only be able to see folders/files in a folder I’ve personally called “Blender” that has all my Blender files in it, but it’s very annoying when I just want to quickly pick something from my downloads folder as nothing in downloads is visible to the file browser for some reason.

Just for anyone Googling I had this problem and I think I’ve figured it out.
It turned out that I was looking in the default file path for images that Blender suggested which was C:\Users\owner\Documents\My Pictures. I checked my computer’s file browser and the address of the folder my computer uses as a default is actually C:\Users\owner\Pictures. The default path Blender was pointing to is either empty or doesn’t even exist on my PC.

For Windows 10 home you can use the Windows file browser to navigate to the folder you want to use, right click the quick access address and select ‘copy address’. Then you can paste this into the address bar in Blender’s file view menu and your files should be visible. Press Ctrl+B to add the folder as a bookmark for later use.

Hope this helps someone

I’m finding the Blender 2.82a file browser confusing under Windows 10. Some directories display okay, while others are shown as empty even though they contain MP4 and other files. Will blender follow Windows shortcut links? Perhaps this is the problem? I’m not sure how to help debug this issue.

The Blender file browser should be tested to be sure it works like the Windows file browser for typical directories, including linked directories (shortcuts, junction points, quoted paths, etc.). Otherwise, there is a conceptual disconnect between Windows and Blender that needs to be documented clearly right there inside of Blender.

I am having problems with this too. In pursuit of Diffeomorphic add-on, I foolishly installed Dropbox, and it behaved very badly, taking over Blender’s file paths in the Import tool. It does not allow to browse the current file structure (since getting rid of Dropbox), but insists on searching the Dropbox version for everything, and failing. I finally managed to convince it to look in a real folder on my desktop by typing in the address, but I can’t get rid of the old associations with Dropbox, so every different thing I try in Blender’s file system has to be manually instructed to go to folders it cannot see for itself.

Is there any kind of structural fix for this? Blender’s file system seems to be pretty awful, and its import tools don’t seem to work very well except for .OBJ files. Are these related problems? Does it not find associated elements?

hey everyone ,
I found out that when we download any textures it gets downloaded in .zip file format .
In windows we can double click on it and we can open and see those file like a normal folder.
but, for blender to see those file, you just have to right click on those folder and select extract here and then blender will be able to see those file .

I hope it will help someone

If any one is struggling with this. I just found the solution (at least for my case). I work on two monitors, one of them is plugged to my graphics card and the other one to the motherboard. This, because my processor has integrated graphics.
What I would do is open Blender and then I move it to the other monitor, since is the one I ussually work with. If I opened it in this screen, the error would occur. Moving Blender back to the other monitor fixed it.
I’m guessing this is because, even though you may have switched screens, making another graphics card take care of the program; all windows opened on Blender still try to operate on the other graphics card, which they are not able to do.

So just set the monitor you are going to work with as your main screen or could consider finding a way to make Blender always launch on a certain screen regardless of which is the main one if changing that is not an option.