Fill curve, but under respective angle?

Hi!

I’m trying to fill in curve and do it so it respects the angle/normals of it’s points and not just moves up and down in global axis. In the file below and on the picture, you can understand my issue by sliding float value on the right.

I figure that, theoretically, if there was another curve, it’s end points could server as the exact position for a new filler mesh. Same logic, just correct placement.

In order to do that, I created a spline, let it wrap around the edges of the original curve and now I’m facing a new problem - trying to either use for a new filler curve only one side, the upper one, of this spline or simply delete everything besides that.

Maybe someone will help me to use correctly selection of these newly create edges or to delete all edges/vertices/points at the bottom on blue arrows, where the original curve is? So only the points on top of arrows remains for the filler curve?

Thank you for reading!

fill_curve_issue.blend (2.1 MB)

This might help

fill_curve_issue2.blend (517.2 KB)

2 Likes

Funny thing, I was about to post another solution, but it wasn’t perfect, creating glitches with more extreme values.

Yes, thank you! This works exactly as I wanted!

1 Like

One follow up here! How difficult it would be to insert extra layer of faces (and move them upwards the same way as the original, to make it a bit bulky).

and then select the outer layer for further modification?

To be specific, I’d like to have the outer vertices is visible mesh to be a different vertex color than the rest “inside”.

So far, unfortunately, my all attempts of doing this broke the “filler” entirely…

You can try with my face inset node

fill_curve_issue2.blend (530.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you, this works great!

You have to be careful about large values, as some artefacts can appear, but it seems great for it’s intended purpose!

Hello again!

I thought I’d just ask, you never know - is there a workaround for respecting existing UV map when inserting new faces with your node? If not, that would make for a great feature for the future update!

flip_faces_half_insert_faces.blend (1.7 MB)