First Frame is 0? Not 1???

I’m re-learning Blender after years away. And today, I came upon a really weird thing about newer versions - frame 0. The first frame of any animation should be frame 1 - and thus I’m baffled why when I drag my timeline marker to the far left, it goes to zero. Even if I set my starting frame to 1, I still can drag my cursor to 0.
This is a HUGE HUGE no-no from an animation standpoint, and I could see this causing many people to put keyframes in the wrong places constantly. Is there a fix for this huge bug/oversight?
Mucho thanks!!

I guess the negative frame numbers are to be able to retime animation pre the first frame. Why is this such a nono? Most 3D packages, compositors and NLE’s can do this. :slight_smile:

There are plenty of reasons to have negative frame numbers, and a 0 frame.

Also, you posted this in an Artwork section of the forum fyi

I would even suggest to set frame 0 as the default animation start. It is quite natural, for example if some action repeats every 11 frames, that it should begin on 0, 11, 22, 33… not 1, 12, 23, 34.

Edit: sorry for responding to a misplaced thread.

Could you list them, please? I was trying to think of some and couldn’t.

One would be setting particle effect flow start to before the animation.

Programmers created Blender and programmers always index items starting at zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-based_numbering

Too bad Blender is targeting programmers and not 3D artists, otherwise it would be highly intuitive and easy to use :frowning:

Now that’s a bit of an overstatement. Blender is not targeting programmers - it’s a 3D software therefore targeting everyone that does 3D. Maybe some of the addons are presented from a coder point of view but there is a logical explanation. People developing Blender are coders and they do it as a hobby. They are not trying to make things that appeal to the buying audience because there isn’t one.

Besides I find Blender very artist friendly. Not in a click-here-to-render-photoreal-way but that’s not how it’s supposed to be.