Fixing a head mesh to resolve bad boolean issues

Hey folks - I’m getting boolean issues because of my topology. Sometimes the exterior face of the boolean intersection just disappears. It seems to be when the intersection object crosses the mouth or eyes of this head model.

The model was generated in MakeHuman - and I suppose is designed for rigging so has a moveable mouth and eye cavities etc. In particular there is some overlap where the lips meet that might confuse the boolean modifier. I guess my question is - is there a simple way of tidying a model like this (and if so, using what technique? I’m not really good at modelling!) so it can work with the boolean modifier (it has also led to problems with things like cell fracture etc). I don’t need it to be riggable - just a clean statuesque block figure I can effect w/out problems.

Any help appreciated! :heart:

Hi,
when you select your mesh, uder the Mesh > Clean up there is close the holes option that sometimes works, some times it does not. But with the face a would just select the holes and press alt + F which close the hole.

1 Like

Thanks @Fowl - unfortunately I have tried to fill the holes this way (and just manually adding faces) - but the problem seems to be the original topology where the lips cross over themselves (maybe the flipped normals there contribute to the boolean error?).

Seems like I need to clean that topology (or source better models?) but I’m not sure the best way. Have tried using the shrinkwrap modifier w/ project setting which kind of worked but then I had issues where it didn’t shrink wrap the ears properly…

I see, then probably delete one or two rows of end polygons and remodel the inside of the mouth for a clean non intersecting topology.

1 Like