Flatten part of curved mesh to a plane with good topology

I wish to flatten a section of a curved mesh to a plane. The geometry is easily achieved with a boolean operation, but the topology obviously becomes a nightmare to fix.

I still haven’t gotten rid of all triangles and poles, but the mesh works ok with subdivision now.

Are there any tips/tutorials on how to achieve this in general, or do you have any tips for my specific shape? Or am I doomed to eternally slide vertices?

I tried to apply the approach from this tutorial but without success.

Blender file:
Flatten Curved Mesh.blend (1.0 MB)

Why do you need good topology? Boolean topology is perfectly fine for hard surface applications, like what this seems to be- you only need good topology for sculpting or animation

Well, it is a hard surface, but even then you need at least decent topology for Subdivision and other modifiers.

In this case, I got to a “good enough” stage (still some local pinching, but hopefully it will not be noticeable in the final render) by sliding vertices and cutting faces. But it made me wonder if there is a better / more efficient way of doing it.

There might be a better approach, but without seeing the actual object you’re trying to model - hard to say what that approach might be.

Assuming it’s for animation, if you modify it as it is, it will be possible to the same extent as the image (attached file)

Flatten Curved Mesh_XX.blend (991.4 KB)

Please refer to the link for a lecture for reference.
https://www.youtube.com/@Motionworks/videos

2 Likes

The object is to be used as the torso for a wooden figurine, and the shape is close to the intended final one.

Cheers! It turned out super clean!