Flexi Bezier Tool

This functionality is not yet implemented. (For now, you can only round off the sharp corners by selecting one of the handles and pressing k: Flexi Bezier Tool - #134 by Khemadeva)

Maybe in one of the future releases :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to add let’s say Shift+K to not only align hadles(like K now do) but actually convert “Vector” vertex to “Align” one so we no need to do it in Edit Mode?
p.s.: Personally I use [K] more often to “break” aligned(“smoothed”) control points to vector type, but it would be nice to have opposite action within Flexi Edit.

You mean some kind of help? Actually, these things are mentioned in the documentation, which I try to keep updated as much as possible.

Yes, changing the handle type via Flexi Edit is already on the plan (Flexi Bezier Tool).

The new version of Bezier Toolkit - 0.9.52 - with the Snapping & Locking framework is now available for download. You can now snap and lock to plane, axis and more with all three Flexi tools.

And there are a number of other options, that would make working with curves fun :slight_smile:

For precision drawing and editing, it’s now also possible to enter (or tweak) location values via keyboard (even in polar coordinate form! ).

Review video: https://youtu.be/VQCXZbOq47s

And yes, the tools now work in all views, including the quad view :slight_smile:
Please let me know if you face any issues or come across defects.

10 Likes

Thank a lot you make the bezier experience in Blender fun again!

2 Likes

Can any of this be done or implemented?

3 Likes

Yes, but except boolean ops.
Do you want to give it a try? :slight_smile:
Here is a hint: https://youtu.be/zhCTtqthqQs (and bevel objects).

Please take the latest script; I just added snapping to the active object location, which would be useful in cases such as this.

1 Like

Will it be convenient for the user to align this “thing” every time? And if without an intermediary?

Yeah, there should also be options to snap to object faces etc. And that’s on plan.

The moi3d is very convenient

1 Like

Khemadeva, have you ever thought of adding an “update checking system” for your addon?

This Python module allows you to add a button to let your users check for updates:

3 Likes

This looks useful. I will explore it, maybe when there is some time. Looks like some learning curve, though.
For now users can press the Watch button on github for update notifications :grinning:

3 Likes

nice implementation … i have seen the video…
The steps to prepare the drawing on the snapped objects seem repetitive and somewhat boring operations, you could create a sort of “macro” that “sets up the preparation operations” when we activate the flexy bezier tool and activate “snap on surfaces”
in my opinion it would be a little more professional and user friendly way

@Khemadeva
You could enable the esc shortcut to disable the bezier tool, I know that currently it serves to reset the curve tool, but could you allow pressing esc twice, or if no curve has been drawn yet it closes the tool?
I’m an legacy blender user, and I find it boring when the esc function doesn’t return blender to the “selection” state
I even configured the active tools with a custom esc shortcut to return to select mode …

thanks!

1 Like

Done in the latest version.

Yes, I know. But this is supposed to be a workaround, since not all features can be implemented at once. Snapping to face will come in one of the future releases.

And there is much more to the Snapping framework than just the ability to draw on mesh faces. You might want to just go over the video mentioned in this post. Building it was more than a months effort (> 1000 lines of code), so it deserve to be dealt with a wee bit more seriously :slight_smile:

Also, it may not be a good idea to always try and replicate functionality from the other successful tools as is. Of course, these tools can serve as a reference, since there is a lot of effort and research already gone into building them. But we need to understand that Blender is an altogether different application with a totally different design foundation and its own strengths.

Secondly, the add-ons are just scripts not full-fledged applications. While this means, the add-on developer has the tremendous advantage of being able to leverage the rich Blender library, it also means we need to work within the framework laid down by the parent tool. So even if I wish, I may not be able to implement everything as is.

Having said that, I do wish to continue improving the tool, mainly because it is fun working with Blender. It’s an amazing application!

5 Likes

hei! you are the best!
So fast, and so available!
Thanks mate.

about the snapping…
I understand …
I would have liked a little more immediacy and simplicity,
What prevented you from more simplified development with snapping?
Miss the right API?
Are you developing on blender 2.80 or blender 2.81 builds?
because I know that blender 2.81 contains more advanced snapping and if I am not mistaken also improved API

Hi,
always get this error message, all addon versions.
Can someone help ?

thanks

Are you installing the zip? You need to install only the py script.
You can click the following link and save the file from the browser:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Shriinivas/blenderbezierutils/master/blenderbezierutils.py

Then in the Edit->Preferences->Add-ons->Install, choose this file.

You are welcome!

There was nothing that really prevented me. I just wanted the basis for the framework to be as comprehensive as possible, so that the future additions are simplified. And certain things just can’t be simplified beyond a point :frowning:

BTW, the Snap to Face option for drawing on the face of the mesh is available now (0.9.54). Here’s a quick review video: https://youtu.be/KcmIm11S1PU

Please note, you can draw only on the faces of the active object due to performance reasons.

2 Likes