Flexi Bezier Tool

@cyso Such a nice feedback is more rewarding than any dollar amount for me. And I mean it.

I would feel great if you and others have a look at my other add-ons https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxsh4i5F_h9GX9oXw6IykstNPlPPXYUZm and share your feedback (not mandatory though :slight_smile: )

I have added this feature in the latest version (0.8.1). Thanks to the pointer you gave!
Please let me know if that works for you.

1 Like

Yes, this problem will continue to be there until T60766 gets fixed (maybe more people can subscribe to the bug report to let the team know that the resolution is awaited by many). I am trying to see if there is any (hacky) work-around possible.

There should be some option to display the drawing in device independent sizes. Will search for that…

Thanks for your feedback. Do let me know if you face any other issues.

Hi.

I noticed that you have released your scripts/add-ons under the MIT license.
Afaik, blender addons have to be released under the GPL license.

1 Like

@Khemadeva Thank you for implementing it so incredibly quickly. : )
I will look at your other addons as well, but I’ll move that a little bit backwards. First I have to test the current toys extensively. :smiley:

How about implementing two buttons in the ‘Bezier Utilities’ menu as a temporary solution? The tools work after a restart if I start them with the search ‘flexi …’, as buttons it would be more intuitive than using the search - until the T60766 is solved. (@artoonick)

flexi

2 Likes

For a temporary solution of T60766, you can refer to the standard addon mesh_snap_utilities_line.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. I have changed the license type of all my add-ons to GPL. The last thing one wants is complications arising from license issues :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey there! Great job on the addon, super handy :>
What i think would be a nice addition is an ability to change handle types (with ctrl, alt modifiers), because right now even if you add straight segment with ctrl+alt+click and move it, it no longer is a straight segment and becomes free handle type.

One more thing i think would be awesome if an offset function could be implemented (if it’s technically possible). I need that pretty often, personally.

1 Like

+1
It’s a great addon but I think it’s essential to have the ability to change existing handle types with shift; ctrl and alt.
Keep up the good work.

1 Like

You made my day with this fantastic free addon, what a breath of fresh air and when i tried it in orthographic view i was blown away to see it was working just like in max.

Would be amazing if you can add generic color support to curves just like we can with mesh in 2.8 since it is very practical and there would be no need to give the curve thickness.

Thank again a million time to give blender users a decent bezier system.

1 Like

This is just absolutely fantastic! This is how Blender should handle all of these situations by default. Hell, this is how every 3d app should handle curves. Thanks for such an awesome add-on (though I feel guilty that this isn’t a paid addon!)

2 Likes

Hi @Sakana3, you saved me so much effort of responding to the users complaining about this issue! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Hi @artoonick @cyso and others, I have implemented the workaround fix for tool not working on restart in the latest version (0.8.2). You may want to check it out when you have time.

3 Likes

Khemadeva : Do you know C/C++ ?

@Hickz @eltarbos Yes, I have it on my plan to implement the handle change. It is fairly simple to implement. I just need some good keyboard shortcut.
How about selecting a handle and press:
V: to make it Vector
L: Aligned
T: Auto
F: Free

Not sure if it would conflict with other functionality.

This is how it works in Blender. If you move a handle of type vector, it has to get converted to Free, because you can’t have a straight segment when one handle is not aligned.

Also, implementing offset function is a bit challenging. But I will see if there is an existing algorithm available.

@polynut Thank you for this amazing feedback! I feel rewarded for every minute I spent working on this add-on :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Dheim Thank you. That’s tremendous motivation!!
And just btw, if using free software should make one guilty, then I should feel the guiltiest, since almost all the pieces of software I use, from OS onwards, are free and open source.
(I think software should be free as a rule. But that’s just my personal opinion :slight_smile: )

@xan2622 Yes, but I enjoy Python the most. It’s really a cool language.

Your addon is so handy/useful, I hope that it gets added in the default addons. imo, it should even replace the current bezier curve creation tool, but for that to happen, your addon has to be ported to C/C++ as a patch (I guess).

1 Like

Fantastic news, thank you!

1 Like

As you already use ctrl modifier key to add control points, I think you could use shift and alt key to change handle type.
It would make something like this:
shift + click on a point or handle : toggle free/align
alt + click on a point or handle : change type to vector
shift + alt + click on a point or handle : change type to automatic

Even better, you could let the user choose his own shortcuts in the addon preferences.

I could be wrong, but I think that the blender addons just need to be gpl compatible. The MIT license is gpl-compatible, so there should be no problem with keeping that license. I think the expat license on this page about gpl-compliant licenses is the same as the MIT license everyone uses.