Flexi Bezier Tool

this is blender file, Thank you for your dedication

1 Like

This is fixed in the latest upload.
Probably I was too excited to run some basic test conditions :slight_smile:

Thank you. I was not able to reproduce the error, but have implemented a possible fix in the latest upload. Next time if you face the error, please note the steps and send me the blend file along with the steps leading to the error.

Have you tried Bezier Curve CAD Tools?

it is a very interesting tool, but it does not work in a practical way as I would like, from “object mode” with the simple … select the active tool and execute the operation on a piece of segment or a point …

that’s why I have a lot of hope for this @Khemadeva tool, It adopts in my opinion the useful taste approach to a good precise CAD style design.

1 Like

What I would like to see is a “Flexi Draw Freehand line” tool.

It would work similarly to the Annotate tool but would allow to create freehand drawn lines. But thanks to Khemadeva’s great coding skills, there could be interesting options, such as the ones that you can find in Lazy Nezumi Pro:

It would be awesome to have something similar in Blender, for the Bezier Curves but also for Grease Pencil.

1 Like

another wonderful thing would be to be able to interactive create objects from the extra curves addon via active tool modeling , like flexy sexy bezier tool does :grin::yellow_heart:

it’s nice dreaming

1 Like

Sure. But the upcoming feature - Flexi Snapping :wink: - is also not too bad.
I guess, after trying it, you won’t mind me working on it first.

1 Like

:grin::grin: absolutely not bad

Perhaps there has already been such an offer. Snap to edges/ center edge/ face/ center face/ vertex

Hello Everyone!

There has been a performance fix (ver 0.9.11) related to slowing down of response of draw / edit with increasing no of segments (especially with large view distance).
You might want to update your add-on.

Do let me know if you face any issues.

7 Likes

Nice thank a lot Khemadeva you are the blender bezier super hero!

2 Likes

Hi Khemadeva.

Are you aware of the non-compatibility between the All Material List and BezierUtilities?

I just wanted to inform you.

1 Like

Khemadeva just a question: is it not possible to implement boolean operations to your add-on? Bezier booleans.

Flexibezier is excellent in its simplicity and straightforwardness, so why not making it a full tool shelf for every imaginable kind of bezier operations? You just produce whatever shape you want in it and you convert the drawings to polygon lines by clicking a single button in the ui: the most intuitive way of working!

3 Likes

I agree, there will have to be boolean ops integrated into the toolkit sooner or later.

However, right now the priority is snapping and locking option, which, I guess, is quite important for precision modeling. And implementing it is taking much more time than I initially thought, mainly due to the increasing scope (I just did not want to publish something half-baked :slight_smile: )

After snapping, I thought of making the selection / editing part consistent. E.g. currently, only uniform subdiv works on multiple segments. But it should be possible to select multiple handle poionts / segments and apply ops like move / delete / align on all of them at once.

So, when there is this consistent framework in place, the new functionality like Boolean or Draw Primitives can be added.

Do keep sharing your thoughts.

10 Likes

@Khemadeva

for knowledge, I let you know that the author of the bevel tool for the mesh is working on a new set of Boolean operations and will soon be officially implemented, I don’t know can be useful also for curves and surfaces …

https://developer.blender.org/diffusion/B/history/newboolean/

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan of action :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Excellent plan of action Khemadeva! Keep the good work! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you for your work @Khemadeva ! Great addon indeed! Just a couple suggestions:

1. Is it possible to add “reposition of previously added point” (holding some key) while drawing a curve with Flexi Draw as an alternative way of fixing misplaced vertex vs Backspace option (that is for deleting prev. point)? That would be much more time efficient to reposition a point vs deleting it and trying to find best placement each time. This is useful especially when tracing some image outline by hand. This kind of reposition action exists in Photoshop/Illustrator apps: while drawing with Pen tool you have an option to tweak location of previously added point holding Spacebar without interrupting drawing process. I can make a screencapture if it would help to make things clear.

2. ( I know it was mentioned before in thread) Another option is about usability as for now points/lines are too small to work (even in standard FullHD) without straining eyes, Blender Preferences > Theme > 3dView > “Vertex Size” has no effect on Flexi. (Seems like native Blender Lattice modifier points has the same issue). Moreover it would be nice too if we could customize Flexi Edit Tool colors for segments, points and handles.

Hope my English and thoughts make sense for you.

1 Like

@yunis Thanks for the detailed feedback:

The add-on now lets the user set the (handle and segment) line thickness and point size from Add-on Preferences dialog (ver 0.9.12). Do let me know if you come across any issues.

Please note: 1) For the changes to take effect, after changing the values you will need to reselect the tool (i. e. select some other tool and select back the flexi tool) 2) For now the sizes are the same in both edit and draw, maybe this can be changed in future if needed 3) I will also make the colors configurable in one of the upcoming releases (neck-deep in snapping options right now :slight_smile: )

Do share the screencapture about the first point you mentioned. If it’s a small change, I will definitely implement it as soon as I can. If not, I am not sure exactly when (and if) this would be implemented, since there’s already a set plan for the next few weeks.

2 Likes