flip normal not working

Ok, maybe someone can shed some light on my problem. I have some faces that have their normals facing the wrong way. ctrl+n does not bring them out. So I thought I could bring them out by flipping the normals of individual faces. That didn’t work either. So maybe there is another trick that I am missing. I am attaching a gif to show the flipped normals debacle. Thanks in advance.
http://web.pdx.edu/~wlf/FlippingNormals.gif

first troubleshooting sollution is to check for doubles by removing doubles, then to check for internal faces…

It does look like a strange problem, a little out of my league if that does not solve it.

Yes, see if Select Non-manifold finds anything. Also you might try Ctrl-A in object mode; sometimes this fixes problem normals.

There are no doubles or internal faces. Select Non-manifold does not show any strange edges or vertices. I have not tried Ctrl-A, I will try that today. One thing that I forgot to mention is that this mesh currently has multi-res enabled. I will try to see if that is what the problem is today as well. If it is, that might mean that the normal Ctrl-N, Shift+Ctrl-N might not work as one would like while multi-res is enabled.