Floating Windows

Another improvement- I wanted the ability to toggle a window on and off with a hotkey, so being able to close a window was necessary. I saw from your comments that you were having some issues closing windows, this is because you were calling DestroyWindow rather than posting the close message. Closing a window via its hwnd is possible with this code (I added the win_exists and return status for my own purposes so I could toggle a window easily with an operator call):

def win_exists(hwnd):
    return user32.IsWindow(hwnd)

def close_win(hwnd,):
    """close given window"""
    WM_CLOSE = 0x0010

if win_exists(hwnd):
        user32.PostMessageA(hwnd, WM_CLOSE)
        return True

return False
2 Likes

Could you release the updated version with the fixes and option to toggle on/off please. Im no good with attempting to change code. sorry. thank you

if you’re asking me, no- sorry. my own local version has deviated from the original addon significantly to suit my very specific needs. As for toggling windows, that one will require some design thought since there’s an intended way for Floating Windows to be used (which is not how I’m using it)- so my implementation wouldn’t make sense as a drop-in addition by itself.

i believe the option is not available anymore

Hey,

Is there any possibility to have an autoclose when clicking outside the window added?

Additionally, is it possible to load up on a specific tab
Example: properties window, physics tab.

Hi. Is this a mockup or actual modified UI? Im looking for such possibilities for a few years already

Hi! Does anyone know how to hide or show all floating windows?

Would something like autohiding screens be possible, i like to have the asset browser on the bottom of the viewport. what would be nice is if it shrinks down to a small bar when my cursor is elsewhere and expands again when i move the cursor down to it.
Atm i just manualy shrink the window my self when im not using it

1 Like

Is it possible to separate the options of the T&N panel individually?
I don’t need the T panel to be displayed.

Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\nguye\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\4.0\scripts\addons\FloatingWindows.py", line 524, in execute
    sv3d.show_region_tool_header = self.sv3d_header
AttributeError: 'SpaceNodeEditor' object has no attribute 'show_region_tool_header'

I received an error when attempting to toggle Properties, Shader Editor, and Asset Browser. However, the 3D Viewport is functioning properly.

Thank you for your response. However, I find that the pie menu, resize menu, and toggle window of Floating Windows are more suitable for my workspace as they help keep it organized and tidy :smiley:

1 Like

ahh sorry i confused this with another addon i just uninstalled.

Your note was still helpful.
I don’t believe it was placed wrongly.
You should have kept your post alive. It was informative.
You said, “shift click in the upper left corner of any pane to make it a separate window.” I tried it and was thrilled at such functionality.

Hey there!

I would try to make a side panel as float window outside of view3d and the actual window of blender.
Not sure what is the current status of this addon (if there is any), and if the addon is able to get a side panel and create a float window from it.

Thank You for the answer in advance :slight_smile:

As i understand the addon was abandoned? For 4.1 it can be installed but no settings are appear at all.
Also even for 3.1 it gives the error mentioned earlier: Floating Windows - #327 by Kuroishere