Floor constraint, feet bones, save my sanity...

Someone help me before I get dain bramage…

Ok, I use a floor constraint on a cube and it works great. I slide the cube and it stops at the plane. Great, now moving on from newbiehood…

I put the floor constraint on a foot bone with an IK solver attached (the IK chain goes up to the pelvis) but the desired effect of the foot stopping at the plane and the bones conforming simply does not happen.

Any thoughts? Should I just parent the cube to the foot bone? :smiley:

I try to it this also for a long time, any ideas? I am not trying ot answer now rather than try to hijack the thread. :smiley:

Possible solutions:

1. Use the normal rig + add addtional bones for control
    I have not tried it yet but I think that bones work better by themselves rather mixing them with objects. There are lots of successful rigs out there to test (see on blendswap.com).

2. Use the normal rig + using contraints based on Empty objects used as helpers.
    I have created this example just for a reference that uses the possible solution 2.
    (If you have problems openning it use the latest SVN from graphicall).
    But it seems difficult to work.

Attachments

floor-rig.blend (400 KB)

this is what i do i use pencile grease thing. i use it to show where the foot was and i draw on floor surface and i put the foot right there.

Hi, I have studied some rigs from blendswap and created another version. :yes:

Attachments

floor-rig-bones.blend (420 KB)

yes that is great using the floor constrain in flopoloco blend file. if you go to the constrain and hold “i” and click on sticky you can lock it at those frames. then unlock it ahead and hold i and click on sticky. that will speed it up thanks flopoloco.

I never got notified of follow ups! I was googling the problem (again) and got taken to my own thread!

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll catch up. Grease pencil sounds good, but I don’t want to always be cleaning my monitor. :smiley:

I love the .blend file you supplied. It works perfectly. I can’t seem to duplicate the effect though in my rig. What is the operative strategy in that file you’ve supplied? I see strange parent child relationships, but I’m not understanding what the difference is.

Hi there, I made some corrections to the rig. I try to learn rigging myself now and I will try to explain in detail the most parts of this rig, if I miss anything then notify me. :wink:

floor-rig-bones-v2.blend (423 KB)

About Hierarchy
Pelvis: Has not any parent (not a bad idea if could be parented to a root bone)
Thigh: Has Pelvis for a parent (not Connected)
Shin: Has Thigh for a parent (Connected)
Tarsal: Has ControllerFoot for a parent (not Connected)
ControllerFoot: Has not any parent (not a bad idea if could be parented to a root bone)
Toe: Has Tarsal for a parent (not Connected)
ControllerKnee: Has Tarsal for a parent (not Connected)

About Contraints

Shin
InverseKinematics = It will link Shin and Tarsal in a clever way, also it will try to rotate towards ControllerKnee)

• Target: Armature
  • Bone: Tarsal
  • Pole Target: Armature
  • Bone: ControllerKnee
  • Pole Angle: -90
  • Other short (Iter = 500, Chain = 2, Tail = y, Strech = y, Target = y, rest as is)

About floor constraints
ControllerFoot + Toe (Should have offset more than zero, else they will fly through)

Additional constraint (not actually needed but I though it was a good idea)
Toe: Copy Rotation (try to copy the Z rotation of ControllerFoot, just to mimic the behaviour of a real foot).

Wow! That is hugely helpful. I’ll try to put that into my model. This guy here has a lot of little legs, so this project has really made floor constraints necessary. I’ll see if I can make your concept work on him. Very very much appreciated!

Nice guy you have there, very cute and stylish. :smiley:

In this case you could avoid the complex human foot setup and work with a very simplistic version. crab-rig.blend (540 KB)

Just out of curiosity I tried a quick rig based on a crab but I had also troubles with the floor constraint.:frowning: How can I set the floor constraint as mesh (vertex data), not as an object (positional).

Please, if anyone know about this let us know. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Even better. Without a doubt I’ll be able to employ that no problem. Its funny how just when you think your getting good at Blender, a whole new world of other challenges open up.