Floor material and texture

Hi, I’m learning blender and looking for a challenging project around materials and textures, with the aim of using it in scenes to create photo-realistic renders down the road. I stumbled on the attached flooring which I think would be a stretch for me and help me pick up a lot of useful skills using GIMP, etc to create a digital copy (floor only). Any thoughts on what I’m looking to do and tips/advice on what I need to do to achieve it? Would you guys (and gals) attempt this?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

P.S. I’m assuming the attached is a photo and not rendered, but maybe it’s not! :-s

I don’t think the floor material would be too hard to achieve. Are you creating the textures from scratch or using photos from various places on the internet?

If you’re using stuff already out there or hell, even your own photos, that obviously would be the easiest route. You’ll obviously need diffuse, normal/bump, and glossy nodes involved. You could even create multiple layers of roughness and grunge to break the texture up, but I definitely think it’s possible to do this without creating anything too complex.

Here’s some basic tips here: http://www.blenderguru.com/articles/making-better-materials/

Thanks Uninstall, I’m going to base the plank floor from a base image then apply some custom scratches, plus anything else I can find out there. The only thing I may struggle with is if I create a tileable image, the end result not looking fake because patterns of scuffs and scratches repeat. I’ll give it a go and post the results.