Fluid flowing over obstacle problem

hello im new to blender and I’ve been trying to get fluid to flow over an obstacle. it looks great except for the edges of the fluid have these spikes on them as shown in the attached image. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

thanks

leaf

Attachments

Have You tried upping the resolution?

Gilles

In the domain settings I have the resolution set to 100 which seems to be as high as it will go. I have the sub divisions set at 5 in the domain boundary, which also seems to be as high as it will go. I’ve attached a screenshot of my settings.

Attachments

In the domain settings I have the resolution set to 100 which seems to be as high as it will go
The max for the preview is 100 but no need for this if your final resolution is also 100. Having final and preview the same res is pointless. The preview is just that, a low res preview of your high res final fluid sim. You have the view set to Final so you’re wasting baking time with a preview res that high, lower it because in effect you are not using it. Increase the Final resolution to give a better fluid. Your screenshot only shows a small part of the important infomation of your scene. There is no fluid object info or object or scene info shown which also have a large bearing on your result. Always attach or link to your blend file, otherwise all you’ll get from other users is general suggestions that may not be appropriate and guesswork

I have the sub divisions set at 5 in the domain boundary
Why did you change this ? If you don’t understand what a setting does, don’t fiddle with them
Also the number one rule is, don’t go expecting to get a realistic looking fluid with the blender fluid sim

How fluid behaves has lot to do with its volume. Start by making the model to scale.

It does appear your resolution is too low, for the scale you’re using. Scale is going to be a huge factor. Also, make sure your real world size setting matches what you intend. A 5 meter domain is significantly different from a .5 meter domain. The resolution settings should go much higher than 100. Last week I ran a scale simulation at 500 resolution. Incredibly large and took forever but it does work. Please don’t underestimate the fluid simulation. The fact is, with items in proper scale and the proper inflows, I am accurately replicating real world, physical scale models of river flow over weirs (walls). It takes patience and an understanding of what you want, but it is attainable. Most people just need it to look good, but it can be right too.

Keep at it!

Stephen