Fluid simulation - creating rain drops in simulation

Hello there!

I am pretty new to Blender but fascinated by the many possibilities and I feel I am still at the lower end of the learning curve. I am also new to this site … so please be patient if questions are too simple.

I was playing a lot with the liquid simulation and went trough several very good tutorials.

My idea was to simulate rain drops in my scene, for example falling on a hat, running down a coat and splashing from an umbrella. I found the particle system rain very nice but not what I wanted.

When I run a water simulation, how do I create actual drops of water which follow the gravity individually? So far I manage to only get streams of inflow objects, but not the drops (from a larger surface or a plane simulating a shower). I am aware of the z-velocity, but this didn’t gave me the dropping effect.
If I have a plane as a inflow, how do I regulate the amount of emitted water from there and how can I achieve that this water falls initially as drops?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! :slight_smile:

I think I figured out that the outflow amount is triggered by the scale of the outflow object. Multiple small outflow objects make more or less what I was looking for.