fluid simulation not working.

ok, so im following this tutorial and the first part works where you make a qube as domain and isosphere as liquid. then you bake it and it all works.

now im making one with velocity as in the follow up tutoial.

i made a base plane, added a cup on top of it, added the domain qube, and added the isophere. then i made isosphere fluid with x velocity one and y velocity one, made cup an obsticle and the qube a domain.

then i shortend frames to 50 and hit bake.

it goes to sand bar waiting thing for a bit and then finishes however it does so within 15-30 seconds, and i end up with no domain qube, and there is no animation?? wtf. Nothing works when i hit ctrl + A it just runs animation of nothing.

can someone explain it to me bettercause i follow every step exactly.

PS: my power had a surge when i was doing first part, and staring second and comp turned off cause of it w/ blender open. could this have effected fluid simulation or something or the entire program.

I think you may need to lower the velocity. Try from .1 for x and y and test it. Then make it faster if it’s not fast enough.

…did you figure that one out? :confused: i was just searching the forums for help on the exact same question as guitarplay.

in any case, thanks a bunch!

and your sig: “parole sante” (“sacred words”).

–gt

Yep. I actually did. Educated guess. Did it actually help, though? That’s the question.

ok its not working. I watched some stuff and i did get the watter to fall into a cup as shown in tutorial, but i have a fountain thing that i want to use the simulation for.

I made the domain box and put an inflow i one of the souts that went sideways. i set the y velocity and changed what i wanted to be an obstickle. This did not help at all. When i bake nothing works. Its like it does not recognize inflow or fluids??

can someone explain how to do it say if i want to use an existing model as an obstickle. For example this fountain or a cup i have. Its realy frustrating.

ok, i know whats happening. For some reason, when my domain is big and my fluid or inflow is small, it doesent work.

I have a large fountain that i want to have multiple small spouts fill up. Now the problem is when i make the domain the size of the fountian to include it, and the inflow the size of the spout, to simulate it, it it to large of a ratio.

also, it does not work when it is inside a obstickle. I at first tried to make the water come from inside spout which was declared an obstickle, and since it is by volume, the inflow is not allowed to produce liquid iside it and it does not work.

last, for some reason the watter lands obove the basin i want it to fill and does not actualy fill it. This as well serves to be a problem id like to fix.

please tell me how to fix these problems.

I don’t know exactly what is happening here, but I do have some tips.
Keep in mind that the fluid simulator is a WIP, and is still buggy.

About the water not actually filling in the basin, that is because the resolution is not high enough (probably). The obstacle simulation is only very accurate at much higher resolutions.

The inflow (and outflow too) need to be completely closed objects (in my experience); the interior is filled with water, and then the velocity takes effect - so make sure your spouts are closed.

I have had some of the same problems, and usually what I do is delete the domain and recreate it - blender seems to get weird sometimes and this helps.

Also try recalculating your normals - this seems to help.

Lastly, make sure you have Blender 2.4.2 - the fluid sim is greatly increased from 2.4.1.

Also note that obstacles need to have some thickness to them. Unless your simulation’s resolution is fairly high, you need to have obstacles with substantial depth. Single planes and thin obstacles have a tendency to be problematic. I’ve often resolved this by using a thicker stand-in object as my obstacle for the simulation, but rendered with the real object.

yes, i will take all this into mind, but how do i make it so i can use a small inflow with a large domain cause i can tell that it is my problem.

Try increasing the resolution of your simulation. Also, make sure you’re looking at the rendered resolution of the simulation (as opposed to the preview resolution).