Fluid simulation problem who's smart to solve?!

Hello everybody,

A week ago I travelled from 3ds max to blender hoping that I can use one of it’s free features “The fluid simulation”.
However after learning it I found out it’s not working the way I wanted, so I decided to make a simplified version of the
scene and tried different ‘resolutions’ to see if the simulator is working at all!!By the way I’m using the latest verion of blender 2.65a.
I checked everything many times but still it’s not working.This is the problem:
I’ve got a domain which can only be a simple box, and two ‘obstacles’ one of which is a simple box shaped glass and the other
is an animated sphere above the glass, the ‘fluid’ is another cube right inside the glass(FYI: the fluid is not touching the edges of the glass!)
The animation is very sipmple the sphere is falling to the glass which is filled with water(very typical scene!) from frame 10 to say 30.The whole timeline
is set to 0 to 100 frames by the way.
NOW! When I bake the simulation depending on the thickness of the glass object, either nothing happens or the domain object doesn’t turn into the
fluid properly(as if I’ve got no fluid object at all!) I tried different methods to solve the problem but none of it worked.I checked my bake directory
and changed it to a completely new place so that I have a fresh start, I cheked the real world size and set it to 1 or 2(my scene is a completely normal scene and
I’m not trying to simulate a tsunami or anything which is far beyond the simulators power whatsoever!) I’ve also checked the scaling factor of the objects Involved in the simulation
and changed it back to 1 to have a neat trasnformation matrix BUT still it didn’t work! And trust me there is nothing wrong with the settings of the simulation.I have
attached the blend file and you can download it and check for yourself.So guys please tell me what’s the problem??! but first check the file!
As I said It’s been a week that I’m using blender and I think I’m not welcomed!!!THE MOST RIDICULOUS THING IS THAT
WHEN I CREATE ANOTHER SCENE JUST LIKE THIS ONE FROM SCRATCH, THE SIMULATION THERE WORKS FINE!!! SO I came to this conclusion that there might be an option
which has been switched off for this file by accident.Because I don’t understand why the simulation works fine for a scene in a certain file and fails to work in another file for the same scene.
What do you think guys?!I’m so confused!!! Is there any specific option which is been disabled somewhere in blender for this
doomed file?!!I appreciate your help.And thanks very much for reading!

PS: the objects’ normals are surely double checked and all recalculated outside also they’re all closed meshes!
PSS: no i can’t start from scratch and build my original scene! I need a permanent solution!! beside if i do it there is no guarantee that the sim works in the end!

PLEASE HELP!

Attachments

ProblemHere.blend (697 KB)

For all objects use Ctrl+A / Scale to clear their scale
For the fluid object select all the faces and W / Flip Normals
For the Obstacle change it from a Volume to a Shell

Attachments

ProblemHere1.blend (679 KB)

Thanks for the answer bro,but as I said I’ve done all these procedures before.I had explained that normals are fine and that I’ve even reset the scaling factor back to 1.I even checked the file you’ve uploaded and tried to simulate again but It didn’t work again and changing the volume init to shell doesn’t solve the problem either and in fact it should work fine with volume.my point is that if you create a scene from scratch similar to this one you will get normal results!! I wanna know if something in this file has been disabled or so.because obviously recreating the scene is not the right solution.

Baking the fluid sim in the updated blend file I posted above gives me the following

Is there something else you were expecting ?

On opening your original file in your first post to the one I posted http://screencast.com/t/y9Rasir2

I assumed all of the features were free.

I wouldn’t say so tbh , with a large enough domain , enough particles , a high enough resolution, some nifty post processing and an awesome PC,
it could be done… although its not quite up to par with realflow or some of the more piricey solutions

I think I just had to change the volume to shell.BUT THE FUNNY THING IS THAT IN A DIFFERENT SCENE I COULD GET THE NORMAL RESULT EVEN WITH VOLUME INIT SET TO ‘VOLUME’.DON’T YOU THINK IT’S ODD? I MEAN TRY IT FOR YOURSELF IN THE FILE YOU DOWNLOADED.CHECK THE PIX I UPLOADED.IN THAT FILE EVEN THE SCALING IS NOT SET TO 1 AND THE VOLUME INIT AS I SAID IS SET TO ‘VOLUME’ BUT IT WORKS!!! HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN IT THAT??!
Thanks very much bro :smiley: I think the simulator freaks out from
time to time and I think there are still some unexpected bugs there.Thanks again :slight_smile:

Attachments

Yea everything in here is free.But in max you rarely see bugs! I like blender anyway :slight_smile: max doesn’t have a fluid simulator and you have to buy expensive plug ins.But in blender it’s free! :smiley:

I kinda like the bugs, it reminds me that blender is being updated CONSTANTLY :smiley:

saves having to wait a full year to “pay” for the next update… like i did with maya… just before i stopped using it… and turned to blender for most things… despite the opinions of some people i actually prefer blenders interface.

Hello, here is your file with the solution. First qour right, the glass had to be “shell”. But in the fload Object there was a scale factor. The fluid simulation ignores this factors and use the “original”. I’ve killed this factor an see, it works :D.
Perhaps you have to play with the fluid parameters for a better “fluid feeling”.

With greetings,

Mikel007

Attachments

ProblemHere_gelöst.blend (739 KB)

Thanks dude.If you read the what I’ve written above you see that I’ve explained clearly that the even with the scaling factor set back to 100% I didn’t get a normal result.I know the file that I uploaded has a different scaling.But Many times I set it back to 1 and the sim. failed.I made another version of the scene and tested it under the same settings(sometimes even different scaling) and It DID work! that’s my point! that I think sometimes blender is freaking out.But again thanks very much.