Flying saucer

When I was seeing the scene of House Atreides leaving Caladan in the movie Dune, I wanted to do something similar: A spaceship rising out of a lake. I knew I never would reach the details and scale of the movie, so I went for a smaller project. That’s when the idea of an isometric landscape with a flying saucer was born.
During my first steps I was trying with blender’s internal fluid simulator, but that one crashed quite often. So I compiled myself the flip-fluids add-on from their GitHub repo. This worked much more reliably and I was able to finish the simulation.
Another challenge was to get the appearance of an approaching ufo with an isometric camera. To achieve this I needed to animate the scale of the ufo, which needed quite some iterations to tune (and I’m still not 100% satisfied, but I need to call this done now…).

The ufo generator and the water material from the animation is available on my GitLab repository.

Credits:
HDRI - Polyhaven
Trees - Maxtree
Sounds - Freesound
Simulation - Flip Fluids

38 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thanks a lot, Bart. Hope you have a great weekend, too!

I like the idea. The water looks very good and realistic.
Great work !

1 Like

Super cute idea!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

It is really nice.
Love the very unexpected ending!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I never expected my art to end up there :slightly_smiling_face:. feels good.