For Modo user switching to Blender 2.8

Convenience and seeing the pseudo workplane?

Ok, so now that Modo 13 has been announced with features from Meshmachine, Kitops, etc. are you all switching back now? :laughing:

2 Likes

I didn’t see any feature resembling Meshmachine,link? If you’re refering to MeshFusion thats not quite like MeshMachine. Not likely to switch back since Blender has more going for it currently and in the future(Everything Nodes,Redshift renderer, animation 2020) not to mention huge addon(both paid and free) and a much bigger and friendlier community, the Modo forum seem to be slowly dying , reminds me of the Lightwave3d forum lolz.

Modo doesn’t even have scaling for a 4K monitor,makes it unusable on my Cintiq Pro. Modo is pretty old I think it might need a rewrite of its core architecture…is anyone up for that job?

PS> The new Modo online licensing is annoying, i didn’t ask for it.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/machin3io/status/1112668818667696128

2 Likes

Ahh that feature is awesome but I think MeshMachine has many unique features still not present in Modo?

Still sticking with Blender :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It has, and more is coming.

8 Likes

ABSOLUTELY NAILED IT!

I sware, the minute Brad left, Modo also got left behind. there are bugs in Modo 13 that have NEVER been fixed the entire time 13 has been out. I’m SLOWLY learning blender 2.8, i cant WAIT to ditch modo.

Please keep in mind though, i LOVE modo…but you nailed it, it’s been neglected. Blender is the future, i’m very impressed so far.

2 Likes

I do miss the action centers from Modo, would love to see something like this built into Blender. Yes I’m aware you can buy an addon for this.

One thing the Modo expats (which I am one of them, well kind of since I have been using them side by side for a long time) need to understand is that BF does not have a lot of resources, that is why they focus on the core functionalities and the expandability through the Python API. Given that, needing to rely on add-ons for such stuff is not going away any time soon. I wish some of those features via add-ons were internal too. However, as of now the add-ons are the best option to match the functionalities we see in some of those external apps.

I’m currently in the position between sticking to Modo or switch to Blender, but all this “I switched because is free” is pretty cringy, I don’t think free is actually a good reason or Autodesk and Maxon would be gone by now.

I started to use Modo commercially the first moment they offered a monthly subscription, since paying 59USD per month is way more accessible than $1,799 in a single payment, per year.

Also, Foundry still offers their “Perpetual licenses” for Modo.

But what is making me switch to Blender is performance and features, I have seen some incredible works made with Blender that in a time were more practical to be made using something like Modo, but now Blender seems to be as easy to use and as powerful as any other 3D software.

And with AMD ProRender coming to Blender soon, seems like Modo render quality is not an exclusivity anymore, when compared to Blender.

Is very painful to use Modo for me because the laggy UI and slow performance for animation and high poly scenes.

Yet, each time I want to jump to Blender, I find my self coming back to Modo in hopes Foundry will, eventually, make this amazing software as fluid as Blender, but I’m now in a situation that I don’t know if that wait is really worth it or I just should jump to Blender now.

Hi, the main issue in Blender 2.8 is performance in high poly scenes.
There are some workarounds as Layers/Collections and linking files, for example.
I cant compare performance with Modo, may you export one of your scenes and try with Blender RC2. Stable should be ready next week.
I would start with small/midrange scenes to get familiar with Blender workflow.
Blender have short release cycles, 3 Month, and all user hope for much better UI performance in next releases.

Cheers, mib

AMD PRo Render IS already here. I don´t know why you say that? It`s faster than native CPU render for Cycles obviously because its GPU.

I was a previous Modo user. So I found transition to Blender 2.78. You´re coming in Blender 2.8. Which is a huge game changer. Stick with Blender 2.8 and PC. Forget MACs. Arm yourself with a good RTX2080 and you should be good to go.

1 Like

It never was. Modo had always one of the worst renderers around. It was relatively fast only in very simple scenarios, and the quality left much to be desired due to various tricks it employed compromising light transport accuracy.

Also, Cycles is much more capable and production ready than ProRender will ever be. The fact ProRender as AMD brand slapped on it doesn’t make it good. I mean look at how little artworks are produced with ProRender compared to Cycles here. All that despite ProRender being out for a while now.

Modo’s 12.2v2 poly editing performance is currently better than Blender 2.80 RC1, I’ve tested both scene and Modo is still ahead. If you want really fast rendering take a look at E-Cycles, they are running a 50% summer sale now.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I’m -

Metrons

My name on this forum and modo forums is the same.

I’ve been using MODO for about 10 years. I’m leaving it (wip) for blender 2.8. i’m having MANY issues though. I’d be extremely thankful for anyone who can enlighten me to some of the questions i’m currently having coming from modo.

0.a can i copy and paste my geo like in modo?

0b. If i select some faces, how do i ‘copy them’ to a new layer? in modo i would ctrl+c my geo, press N and paste. I’m not seeing a flow like this atm?

1. Pie Menus. I looked in addon, i turned on a few pie menus and…i see no editor or anything for creating my own menus. Do i need to purchase an addon i take it? Am i missing something, seems like there are a few pie menus i’ve stumbled across but i see no way how to edit these? DYING to start creating pie menus.

2. adding to that Pie Menus question. something like box cutter, or these kick ass machine tools i’m seeing, can i grab tools from those add ons and add them to my custom pie menus? In modo i could grab anything, i just had to select the code from the script editor and paste into my menu.

3. WHERE is the ‘pen’ tool equivalent? I’ve clicked on this ‘poly build’ it LOOKS like the pen tool but only creates points, or weird lines? i’m so confused. Lets say i want to draw out a sci fi panel on a grid, a star shape, in modo i’d just use the ‘pen tool’. I’m not seeing any function like this? i feel like every program has a version of this?

4. grid snapping is throwing me, in modo the more i zoomed in our out, the grid would update. when i try to snap to the grey grid lines in 2.8 it’s snapping between the ‘grey lines’? in modo the grid i see is where i can snap to, in blender it’s like there is a ‘sub grid’ and i cant view it? please tell me there is a way to snap to a grid more ‘cleanly’

5. is there a MMB equivalent to selecting through everything in edit mode? i swear, when i started learning blender a few weeks ago, someone said the hotkey for this but for the life of me, i can’t find this/ remember this? This selecting only what you can see is baffling me. I’m not really sure when i’d ever use this?

6. Are there some ESSENTIAL addons people could recommend (topology, UV unwrapping (uv packing with uv island groups like uv layout)?

I’m a character artist, i do a lot of uv unwrapping, and LOTS of topology. I mostly sculpt in MEDIUM only now days and i dont really model much anymore. but i’d love any essential recommendations.

1. what’s my ‘zoom level?’ in modo the grid would update and show me like 1m, 50cm etc as i zoom in or out. I feel like i have no sense of scale atm, i see nothing on the UI showing me the ‘scale’? My units are defaulted to M in blender but i’m still ‘lost’.

2. are there hotkeys or something to ‘continue’ a modeling tool? like in modo, i could bevel a face, inset it, press mmb i beleive and bevel again immediately. i just tried insetting a face in blender and i pressed ENTER and i couldn’t bevel agian. something simlar to how modo does it?

3. i’m not seeing any ‘instances’ in modo they’d show up as purple wireframe, very useful to see what was the ‘parent’ object and what was instances. does something like instances exist?

4. how do i convert my selection? say i have 3 edges, i want to turn that into points? i see no convert selection command?

5. set vert position? feels like blender has VERY few modeling tools? i dont know how to get my seam down the center of my object to have all vets snap to 0 in X?

6. PLEASE tell me i can switch UP to Y. This Z is up hurts my brain. I know max, modo, i would imagine maya all let you say in a preference what ‘is’ up. I’m dying to switch this Y to Z. this makes no sense to me?

i’m new, very new to blender. would LOVE clarification on any of these questions from other modo users.

cheers

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

Not sure about the context of your assessment or the type of the renderings you have in mind but my experience has always been the total opposite and we used Modo in heavy production. I still think that Modo’s renderer is better than Cycles.

I used blender for awhile now and I’ll be honest. I use it because it is free, but it doesn’t have anything that is best in it’s class, but it doesn’t need to be for most people. Although not my main dcc app anymore, I will still use it to compliment my work with modo and other applications.

1 = :no_mouth:
2 = :no_mouth:
3 = PolyQuilt addon for Blender 2.8
4 = The grid is poor
5 = There’s no such thing afaik. If you want to select through you need to painfully go to the wireframe/x-ray mode (shift + z)
6 = :no_mouth:
7 = :no_mouth:
8 = shift + r, I believe
9 = :no_mouth:
10 = :no_mouth:
11 = The N panel has something, I guess
12 = Impossible

12 - Because this http://mathworld.wolfram.com/z-Axis.html?

It is a 2d legacy thing probably. Not sure why any 3d application using Cartesian coordinates would have y-axis as up. I suppose it just happened at programmer level and simply got entrenched, since it was surely one of the first things included in the code base.