Forest in a Bottle V.2

Rendered in Cycles, 4K, 1000 samples. HDRI + 4 Planar Lights.

Re-render of an old project I did in Eevee - and I love Eevee but Cycles still looks pretty dang good…

47 Likes

That’s a very nice render, well done!

1 Like

Thank you!

For reference, here’s the Eevee original. Same exact scene, lighting, materials, angle etc… Using the SSGI build of Blender 2.93. Rendered at 128 Eevee samples.

The Cycles render took just under three hours. The Eevee render took just under fifteen minutes.

Honestly, I don’t know that the Eevee render looks worse here. Not better either - just … different enough that I wouldn’t call it out as the ‘inferior’ render engine. Still - I think I’ll work on this further - maybe try exporting it out into Unreal Engine 5 and see how that goes…

Exciting times we live in!

4 Likes

On the topic of Eevee though - the shadows are probably the most obvious difference - followed by reflections… Although honestly, unless you’ve got mirror-reflective surfaces that need crisp, clear reflections, it’s probably going to be fine…

2 Likes

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Really beautiful and pure render. Great job

1 Like

Thank you!

Like I’ve always said, the average viewer would never see any difference between Cycles and Eevee.

Very nice work!

1 Like

Thanks! And yeah - you’re right! When we look at it as 3D artists - we automatically start looking for the tell-tale signs - but everyone else kinda just goes… cool. More of a sign of how far the tech’s come!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you!

If anybody’s interested, here’s the same-ish scene in Unreal Engine 5:

I baked all the textures in Blender and then exported everything out to Unreal. For the water - the dynamic paint vertex displacement was able to be exported out as an Alembic geometry cache. UE5 handles SSS for foliage a lot better than Blender so I was able to use a higher-poly model for the trees.

UE5’s Lumen real time GI is … something else. This was fully real time rendering. No baking. I really hope Eevee takes a leaf out of Unreal’s book with dynamic global illumination…