Four easy questions

Hi, I know the basics of blender and of course I am having trouble with a few things so I though I should ask the professionals :smiley:

1- What would be the best program to model with (Besides Blender). I have tried AC3D and Truespace7 but AC3D leaves very small gaps that makes the player fall through the ground and Truespace7 I find hard use…

2- The lights keep going through the walls into the other rooms within radius of the light. (The walls don’t block the light) How do I fix that.

3- I have a professional Photoshop CS2 person who can make textures but I can’t tell him what size I need the textures (Resolution) to fit the model so I don’t have to repeat it. How could I find out the size of the texture I need.

4- How to make a hill from a plain in blender?

Thanks so much!

Wings3D is nice and free(dom)

2- The lights keep going through the walls into the other rooms within radius of the light. (The walls don’t block the light) How do I fix that.

Keep the lamps and objects you don’t want light to touch on separate layers.

3- I have a professional Photoshop CS2 person who can make textures but I can’t tell him what size I need the textures (Resolution) to fit the model so I don’t have to repeat it. How could I find out the size of the texture I need.

Square textures with a side resolution that is a power of 2 are a sure bet for efficiency: 64x64, 512x512…
As for the size it is necessary to consider how closely the texture can be seen. Experience will teach you to judge that.

4- How to make a hill from a plain in blender?

Subdivide your plane some, having in mind the polycount. Then use the PET (Proportional Editing Tool) with a smooth falloff.

Thanks for your help. But for the lighting part I meant if you made 2 rooms for a game and you put a light in 1 room and you want the other to be dark. The light goes through the wall from the room with the light into the dark room. How do you stop the light from going through the wall.

well you cant ;] but you can split the walls mesh so 1’st room is a 1 mesh and 2’nd room a 2 mesh (go to edit mode select all for room 2 and press P to seperate) now put you 2’nd room to other layer(M key) and the 2’nd room’s light too (light’s work ony for meshes in same layer)

Ah, well thanks for your help Migero and IamInnocent!