Free 3D programs

Until then, I’m getting the tuhopuu and the patched builds… gotta get my fix of new features…

How do you like this for a start:

www.extinctionlevelevent.com

I was going to work on nailing down the art direction first but if anyone wants to help there are things that can be done. There’s a good discussion on OpenBusiness.cc about funding/licensing:

http://www.openbusiness.cc/2006/09/19/a-swarm-of-angelsopen-business-meets-filmaking/

So far I’m planning on using the same license as A Swarm of Angels, but if anyone has any thoughts on that I am listening. Especially to people who are willling to participate.

So compared to Blender how does Wings3D compare. I heard it was good what do you guys think.

wings3d is easier to use for box modeling and supports ngons and has a few box modeling tools that are better than blenders (ie its beveling tools), blender can do box, point by point, and a number of other modeling methods.

LetterRip

We’ll I’ve tried to download it but it I can’t find the page and can I integrate it with blender?

Wings3D home page

Wings3D downloads

Wings3D is a seperate application from Blender . . . they can’t be integrated except for being used side-by-side in the same workflow.

The common use is to model in Wings3D & then export (in .obj format) to Blender for texturing, animating, and/or rendering.

_

Wings 3D is excellent, with a quick, elegant and efficient interface. I use it in conjunction with Blender and they give good results.

I’ve always wondered about this one, which I used to visit when I was a total noob. Anyone here using it or tried, at least?

Looks nice, but the “written in Visual Basic” part kinda puts me off. Don’t expect fantastic performance from that one, or mature modeling features if the test renders are any indication.

I tried Now3D a few years ago. It has a very nice set of rendering features, but nothing much in other areas (no modeling or animation), so it’s only good for importing models, adding materials/textures to them and rendering stills or very basic moving/rotating/scaling objects animation via scripts.

Right now I can’t download wings but tell me more about it and also if I made video with both Blender and Wings3D would it look pretty proffessional like if I made it in Maya, 3D Studio, and Xcl.

Wings3d is a modeling tool only, it won’t make your video ‘look more professional’ but it might save you some time in modeling depending on how you model.

LetterRip

O.k though but you know I know blender is good but I hope for now it can help me make good videos for my church.

Elephants Dream has proven Blender can make professional quality animations, but what comes with good is time, the better quality it is generally the more time you’ll need to make it and also prepare to spend a lot of time tweaking.

Wings3d has actually given me(and kept me there) a lot of company jobs. (and quite a lot of personal projects enjoyment (that’s from a dead project of mine)) Blender is my definite personal/home animation software(at jobs they keep requiring me Max). And lately am digging how many important touches been given to the Blender rig and animation system since last time I used more strongly.
Till now, my mates at companies are never faster(indeed am faster :smiley: ) than me they using Max/maya and me using wings, hehe. (for organic/objects, that is)

It plays quite well with Blender just exporting as OBJ (I usually import already uv mapped and textured) or even native *.wings file. Organic modelling is strong as it could be, I can tell you. I tho miss (for architectural, levels) some nice booleans like in Blender, tho I know how to “boolean” in Wings. Is just way more time consuming there. I specially like in Blender the scene set up and character animation, together with rendering possibility of it all.(I’ve been more into real time 3d jobs…till recently)

You know I know this is a little off topic though but I try boolean operations in blenderbut for the most part it gets screwed up and won’t work right. Union is the most problems because sometimes it deletes some faces and I don’t know why it does that.

Ah yes…that project :wink:

I’ll be interested to see how it comes along. :slight_smile:

It’s looking pretty good so far.

EDIT: Speaking of free 3d programs, has anyone used the newest version of K-3D(0.06)?

You guy must be pros at this because I’m still working on things like that I’m on the intermiadiate but not exactly advanced yet. Liike doing ceriatn details like windows are a challenge to me.