Free Iris Textures!

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #1

Picture this: I’m trying to do an eye tutorial with a photographic iris texture but have one problem. I don’t have any suitable textures, and 3d.sk is un-affordable at the moment. So I do a Google image search for eyes. 50 some pages of bupkis, with the exception of maybe 1 or 2 images. Pics are either too small, not in focus, too many highlights to fix, iris is half hidden by eye lid, .etc… Next up, image search for iris. I search through pages of flower pictures and then… Pay dirt! This company is making cameras specifically for taking pictures of the iris, and they have a lengthy page of sample pictures, all with at least 1k res. All pics are perfectly in focus, and highlights are almost exclusively in the pupil!:yes: Enjoy, I know I will. (At least until I can get a 3d.sk library…)

small gold deposit:smiley:

0 Likes

(RenderRoo) #2

WOW! I LOVE them! They’re perfect!! I bow down to your superior…Googleosity!

0 Likes

(RenderRoo) #3

…Or would it be Googleosityness? scratches head thoughtfully

0 Likes

(TheANIMAL) #4

Excellent, this should be made a sticky right under Madcows skymaps. V. useful.

0 Likes

(zany_001) #5

Nice,perhaps a bit of work b4 full usage but still very nice.gj finding them!:wink:

0 Likes

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #6

These are about as good as you can ask for in an un-edited iris image.:wink:

[Edit] RenderRoo, no offense, just reminding you that we have an edit button so you don’t have to post twice in a row unless you’re bumping a thread.:slight_smile:

0 Likes

(blackcougar) #7

nice thanks a lot

0 Likes

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #8

Heh, sweet. Got a Blendernation article which was linked to at blender.org. link :smiley:

0 Likes

(Inmare) #9

Hm… don’t want to spoil it but did anyone ask for the license yet?

0 Likes

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #10

They are free samples, I assume you could do what you want with them.

0 Likes

(Inmare) #11

Oh, that can be hazardous. That are just sample images for showing their technology, not thought as of give-aways, if I interpret their page correctly.

0 Likes

(Atom) #12

The site does not say they are free.
You are simply taking them.
I hear there is a free “Google” logo at www.goggle.com

0 Likes

(Unimatrix) #13

Yep, those aren’t for public use. Use at your own risk.

0 Likes

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #14

Someone who commented in the Blendernation article will be e-mailing the company. I’ll post here if he hears back either way from them.

0 Likes

(kernond) #15

I spoke on the phone with the creator of the images and here’s what he has to say:

Concerning the licensing of the sample images on his website:As with any original work product, these photos are protected by US copyright laws. However, I am willing to offer permission for their use in computer graphics by prior request. Simply email me and let me know how you plan to use the images. I also have a CD available that contains 100’s of images ranging from 1 megapixel to 10 megapixels (cropped and uncropped).

0 Likes

(Dan) #16

Or, rather than having separate stickies for each type of resource, maybe we could have just one sticky which contains links to various resources, along with info about licensing etc. Just a thought.

0 Likes

(Lord of the Rings Junkie) #17

Good news that he is agreeable, it would’ve been unfortunate not to be able to use the images.:eek: If I had the money, I would buy one of his cameras + photoshop and start a website specifically for the purpose of making iris textures and distributing them. (kind of like 3d.sk, only free and limited to iris textures.) Unfortunately the next time I have 3-4 grand in my pocket it’s going towards school…:frowning:

0 Likes

(BenDansie) #18

Great find! I’m almost up to making the eyes for my latest WIP, these will at the very least help as a reference for painting my own!

0 Likes

(TheANIMAL) #19

Who the fuck would notice on the internet a picture of some cg generated face and recognise that the irises come from that website. Come on.

0 Likes

(Inmare) #20

So… breaking a law if no one notices is ok? Up to what degree of law breaking?

0 Likes