Freestyle and control of outlines placement?

Hi folks,

I’m messing around with Freestyle with the intention of using of for mograph stuff.

But i’m being hampered by my lack of control over where it puts outlines.

Could anyone take a look at the image below and tell me why Freestyle is putting extra lines in the two T’s? Is there any way to precisely control where Freestyle does or doesn’t put outlines?

I’ve would hope there was a setting where you can prevent Freestyle from putting an outline where an edge joins two completely parallel faces, but i can’t find the setting!

My text has been converted to a mesh so i can animate its shape using the AnimAll addon.

You can controll it with different ways, one is “Mark Freestyle Edge”

Hi, the problem with the T from text object converted to mesh is that create triangulate faces with edges that cross incorrectly the geometry.
I recomend you create the text without extrusion. Convert to mesh and edit.

For this, select all the faces of the incorrect geometry lines of the “t”, delete “only faces”,
Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-01 10-06-35

Select all the incorrect interior edges and delete it

Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-01 10-07-02

Only let exterior edges.

Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-01 10-07-48

create manually quad faces. In the “T” you should subdivide the top edge.

Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-01 10-08-04

If the face don’t appear, surely have fliped normal so you need flip normal in the correct direction
(alt + N)

The geometry should look some thing like that.

Now, you can extrude the geometry and render

Captura de pantalla de 2020-08-01 10-21-44

Hope It help you.

@ Rigoletto, great, “Mark Freestyle Edge” is very useful, that will help a lot!

@Joseph, thanks for the detailed explanation, you’ve reminded me that i need to get my head around “good” topology, it’s not something i’ve spent enough time learning about!