fresnel effect

Can anybody think of a good way to simulate the fresnel effect with a reflective object in an animation? All I came up with was animating the material properties of the object with IPO’s and I wasn’t really happy with it.

Thanks for any help

If you mean fresnel as in fresnel reflections, you can have a look at the refraction plugin on Eeshlo’s page ( http://www.stormpages.com/eeshlo/otherBlender.html ). If you take away the refraction map, it can easily do a fresnel reflection.

Martin

Thanks Theeth. I have been to his site a bunch of times — just forgot about that one. Sorry.

what does fresnel refer to ? is it reflections where the sides reflect more than the faces you’re looking at head on , or vice versa?
I imagine that could be done with a triple layered texture: a weak reflection map, a stencil blend on normal mapping, and a strong reflection map, or some other variation on that theme (I’ve already thought of a couple- for instance, you could use just one reflection map with a blend on normal mapping hiding some of it slightly…)
if I’m wrong sorry. I’m about to search on google for ‘fresnel’

bassaminator—

Your description of the fresnel effect is basically correct as far as I can understand it. Eeshlo’s script–I just read through it–seems to do almost what you were suggesting