Fresnel / Layer Weight effect but for geometric wireframe?

sphere topology.blend (278.2 KB)

I want a color gradient for the wireframe based on viewing angle.

This is the fresnel effect applied to a torus. You can see the problem we are going to run into when trying to apply it to a wireframe. The gradient will be for every tiny strand instead of the overall structure.

The effect I want: imagine this being a wireframe except keep the colors in their same position:

Edit: One idea is to have the color based on object proximity so you can place an object near the wireframe and have distant geometry fade to another color, but would there be a way to use only one object? and have the angle of the object to the wireframe be where the gradient starts? In this case, ideally, the camera would be that object.

Instead of keying off the camera view (which is what fresnel and layer weight do) - you could key off another object (like an empty).

What are the normalize and dot product nodes called?

edit: oh are they all vector math nodes? i got something, but it’s not quite right. The colors are blotchy because each face has a different color.

p.s. camera info z depth does what I want, only problem is that I would have to manually set the map range numbers per object