From Concept to Game Character ... learning all the way !

Plus this - first crack at hand-painted face texture. This is rendered, but with cast shadows turned off. ( Whats the state of play with cast shadows in games these days ? Are any models self-shadowing ? )

So here’s the first run out at a full-drawing figure. Looks kinda posterised; And no pointing rendering yet as I haven’t made any specularity maps. The Face and Hair UVs are on a seperate texture.

What I’ve been more working on is the rig. Meh. I don’t think I’ll have anything to show for a while …
and for now I’m ignoring that one foot is a wheel :stuck_out_tongue: Today is hands. Will post pics when I’ve got the thumb going in the right direction :stuck_out_tongue:

First Rig ! … I’m ignoring the wheel for now. Weights are on automatic, which is why a few of the belt verticies are smearing - I won’t paint them until I’m happy with the rig.

Video is here;
[video]http://www.rhaidley.com/forjournal/rigtest2.avi[/video]

I haven’t rigged anything before, so I’m keeping this fairly simple. I would use Rigify, but I’ve always learnt more from trial and bloody minded error !

This Rig has the following features;

Arms and Legs work on IK. There’s no FK switch as yet.

• A hand target - that I think of as a ‘mitten’ that the arm will attempt to fit the hand into, including it’s rotation.
  • The arm has a pole target for the elbow position
  • A Foot target - for footsteps, with the foot following it’s rotation settings ( with rotation limits )
  • Leg has a knee pole target.
  • An overall grabber for the root bone - the big arrow the character is standing on.
  • Hip and Chest handles
  • Head handle.

Nothing revolutionary, but I kinda like the elbow icons :slight_smile:

I’m setting the hand up on a Dimitri model, but it’s not quite working yet - the thumb’s a bit wonky.

Comments and suggestions very welcome ! Thanks for reading.