Fully Volumetric Gas Giant

Yes, a fully volumetric gas giant. The “surface” of the planets are volumetric aswell.

Shadows cast by features of Saturns rings, of which are also volumetric.

An Aurora (also volumetric)

A closeup of the planet.

As you can see, everything is volumetric. Normally, it wouldn’t work with volume scattering absorbing the opposite of the color put into it. When using an add shader with volume scatter and absorption with the same input density and color, it creates this fully colored volumetric object. Adding displacement is as simple as subtracting a length node from the texture.

This is still a work in progress and I still plan to add more to this. I would like some feedback on what I could add or change. For now, I think its good the way it is, but there is always more to improve on.

8 Likes

might be interesting to experiment with that

interesting set up
can you show nodes setup

thanks
happy bl

Also make sure to set displacement to displacement only in materials tab. The subtract is the radius of the planet (relative to itself).

It’s amazing not only for how good it looks, but also for how simple it is.

1 Like

tried nodes but not quit working yet

this is added to a simple sphere
need UV unwrapping or not ?

do you need jupiter map with transp background or just a simple jpg with black background ?

thanks
happy bl

The jupiter map is an equirectangular map with sphere projection. I used the generated texture coordinate output as the input vector.

As for the sphere’s, you add in a cube, subdivide 100 times, then press shift+alt+s and while holding those keys down, press 1. Shade smooth, press n and set the dimensions to 2. Go to object, apply scale. That is the sphere.

so you just use the Spherical mapping and it should work

no need to do a special unwrap É

thanks

Looks fantastic. Would you mind sharing how you are able to adapt volumetric auroras to curvature of planet?