Fun with fluids

Any comment would be appreciated.

3 Likes

Keep Going

1 Like

Looks odd when the natural flow of water suddenly vaporizes on the way down. The setting still looks fine and I know fluid simulations can be tricky :wink:

I like the stone of the fountain and how it has wet and mossy areas. The water itself could use some improvements. I am assuming you are using Blender’s default fluid system and not an addon (if you are using an addon, please ignore my points). Here are a few ways to make the water better:

• Is the mist around the water a smoke simulation, or particles with lots of motion blur? If it’s particles, you should reduce the amount of motion blur and also activate it on the water itself. In order to have motion blur on the water, you need to do 2 things in the fluid domain’s settings: 1- check “use speed vectors” in the “mesh” section, 2- set the cache format to “uni cache”.

• The water’s mesh seems low on detail. In the domain’s “mesh” settings, you can increase “upres factor” to 3, which will give your mesh more detail for the same simulation.

• The water floats above the stone. If you can, this would probably be solved by increasing the domain’s resolution. If that’s not an option, you could instead remove the collision from the fountain and instead have an invisible collision mesh that’s a bit smaller than the actual stone, so the water sits at the correct height.

• The water looks dark. This is a common problem with glass shaders in Cycles. To fix it, you can use the glass shadow trick:

You will also notice I am using a volume shader to color the material rather than changing the glass’ color. That’s the realistic way to color water: the color is spread through the volume. If you change the color of a glass material directly, it will act like glass that had its surface covered in colored paint, which is rarely what you want.

• In the render settings, make sure to set the glossy max bounces to something high, like 32. That’s needed for glass / water materials to look truly realistic and reflective. Set the “total” bounces at least as high, or it will limit the glossy bounces.

1 Like

Unfortunately i didn’t achieve proper motion blur effect which i tried to do.

Your comment is so informative, I didn’t expected so much help :beers:. Your every suggestion is on point and I’m very thankfull for that. Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I’ve applied some of your tips but motion blur with that geometry is too much for my machine. I’ve applied only vector blur.
And of course lights changed, for better i hope.
I’m planning to make some evening variant with artificial lights in fountain.

1 Like

This is great, I like the new lighting!

If you can’t have motion blur, then vector blur is good enough as a replacement (if it’s a case where it doesn’t cause glitches).

1 Like