Furring Problems / UV Texture Painting

Hello! I have been searching far and wide throughout the internet to find a solution to some issues I’ve been having regarding furring a model.

The tutorial I’ve been following uses 2.77 but apparently a bit has changed since then and I am absolutely lost at around 7 minutes when he goes into Blender Render & UV Mapping Wayward Art Co - I have a UV map made and gotten texture materials in but from there I don’t know where to go.

I’m more than happy to just have you tell me what I am doing wrong / what I need to do to achieve a similar result as the tutorial or I can send the blender file and have you show me where I’ve gone astray. Either would be very appreciated as I am super confused!

Upon following a tutorial from The Luwiz Art I’ve been getting the following issues:

• Weight paint going through the body mesh and into the mouth / other side (even with front faces turned on)

• Fur particles appearing on the opposite side of the body than I applied it to

• The particles not staying within the weight paint.

I’ve tried several tutorials / browsing forums and nothing has really helped as it either is outdated (such as the tutorial I’ve been following to build the character) or only applies to furring a ball.

I added a few pics but I’m not certain what info is needed for assistance (hence the lost part hahaha)

Thanks in advance!!!