Future Cop

I started this project to get some hard surfacing practice as well practicing character modeling. Looking for possible critiques before I continue on it.

-Dillion

1 Like

I’m guessing you’re trying to practice game character modeling and not cinematic right? Cause my advice/critique will be based on game character perspective. Anyways! If you haven’t continued work on this yet I have some ideas you can work on.

• Character Proportions: I’m guessing you’re going for realism, in which case, the proportions are off. Her right arm is too thin (especially for a cop) her upper body should either have a slight v-taper or just widen the width from her shoulders to her waist evenly. You can go for a lean muscle type of build, apple-shaped body, whatever. Also her thighs are too wide near the knees. But here’s something you should aim for; but again with a little more muscle mass and definition in the arms. Notice how the thickness of the thighs taper half way through.

• Clothing/Apparel: This isn’t too big of a deal for your character but the loose parts (i.e. short sleeves) could use a cloth sim to make it look more organic. Her boots have too much heel, have it more parallel with the brim of the boot. And thicken the tip of the boot by increasing the height. I get you haven’t retopologized it yet, but even then, your boots don’t look heavy.
    police-boots-with-steel-toe

• Hard Surfaces: For her shin guards, bring down the back at the top. Expose the knee joint to give her knees mobility. Her back armor is a bit too narrow, I recommend referencing modern bulletproof vests for that bit. If you haven’t tried this already, mark sharp edges and use the Edge Split modifier to save on polygons and beveling.

• Nit Picking: Get rid of the lose laces on the boots, in my experience, there more of a headache than they’re worth later down the road for stuff like rigging, weight-painting, etc. The gun is too narrow, at least widen the grip.

Hope I help in some way!

Thank you for the feedback!

I went with what you said with the proportions and bulked up her upper body a bit more and slimmed the legs. The armor got redesigned because I didn’t like how bulky every thing was looking. The mask, armor and robotic hand got the overall the biggest redesigns.

The shoes I messed with a little bit but I’m not finished with it yet and handgun I haven’t messed at all, but Ill take a closer look at it soon. I included some of the references I used. I’m still working on the lower half but If you see anything that could use more attention I would greatly appreciate it!

-Dillion

2 Likes