Future of BGE and Eevee

We can fund the project ourselves instead of blender official, patreon kicstarter etc

Pardon me for butting in but I have (what I believe is?) a related question: I have been researching game engines recently and I just nicely settled on Blender (I already know Blender, I like logic bricks, there are pretty good easily accessible tutorials, itā€™s less hassle, and things are REALLY looking up with EEVEE on the horizon) only to hear whispers about it possibly being dropped. Is this a real concern?

the current rumors i hear is the upbge project will become the official bge.

Iā€™ve heard that as well but there seems to be a lot of buzz that it could be dropped and there seems to be a lot of people suggesting that it should be dropped. I donā€™t understand whyā€¦ In my understanding, BGE development is, in no way, subtracting from general Blender development and itā€™s not a heavy feature since most of it or at least a big chunk of it (as I understand) draws on functionality already extant in Blender. I would hate to invest a bunch of time in learning BGE only for it to be dropped in the future.

I guess BF could split BGE from Blender but I donā€™t really see the point to that either. Sorry If Iā€™m coming off oddly. I mostly lurk and not even very frequently at that.

I follow the rule that ā€˜The most ignorant people are the loudestā€™ā€¦for me this means the few do not speak for the manyā€¦they just speak more oftenā€¦these are the ones complaining or stating that blender should drop the game engineā€¦

TBH, I really have no idea what will comeā€¦if it is dropped I assume there will still be some form of interactive mode(as we know that is what the 3D generalists want)ā€¦I also assume that the UPBGE devs will continue to work on getting UPBGE using eevee as the rendererā€¦unfortunately I know nothing for certainā€¦

For the time being I will continue to work on ā€˜Valiantā€™(which needs a true name soon)with UPBGE 1.8ā€¦(maybe a 1.9 will comeā€¦who knows)
but after I am uncertain what engine I will useā€¦probably GODOT, that is, if there is no future BGE/UPBGEā€¦

It really is a shame the the most ignorant people are the loudestā€¦it causes a lot of others to suffer. In the end they also get nothing out of itā€¦so I have no idea what their drive is?

I really hope BGE continues to be developed. With EEVEE on the horizon, I feel like it can only get better. It would be a terrible shame to see it let go.

I am a student at Arts Institute and have tried to get people to see that Blender is a great program to use and can be used in industry despite what people think, they ended up calling me Blender Man because i use it for all my projects.

I have Had some ideas for a long time now that would massively benefit BGE.
for shadows i had an idea i came up with when i was working on open world mechanics for a future BGE game,
it would have one center Shadow box and a outer shadow box. this would be parented to the Player Controller and would be adjustable similar to the irradiance Volume probe in that will be featured in blender 2.8.
an example is the center box would be 2048 size shadow and the outer box would 512 size.

you can make something similar now in blender but its a lot of work to get it set up and works well.
the best idea for this is to let the box only handle shadow and would require lights to be set up to create shadows.
this is just one of the ideas ive had for long time

cascaded shadow volumes

Wait does this exist already?..damn.
anyways we need that along with several .blend game template files. similar to unreal

Yes, it has existed for a long timeā€¦but not in blender :frowning: I tried to create a light array of 9 lights to reproduce this(with the center light with the high resolution) and it seems it is too expensiveā€¦each light adds an extra costā€¦

BUT, I think it might get into eeveeā€¦I saw it somewhere, but when I ask about itā€¦I get zero response.

this and terrain lodā€¦ FTW!!

blender has been living in the stone age due the over aggressive opengl compatibility and simply lack of development power.

hopefully this eve thing will be atleast half as good as what they are saying. even that would be to die for.

What, what armature problem?
The animations in UPBGE are a lot faster then in BF BGE, especially in the pre 019. The development still continues so we will see 019.
There was a branch gpu_lamp and cascades patch(It was going to fix most of the lamp updates and stuff) that was going to get in upbge 27x, but since there is Eevee, the upbge 2.8 will use the Eevees shadow, the way i understand.

@ADVANCESSSS: I use armatures for animation with IKā€¦they are a bit slower(with IKā€¦FK is faster)but I have not noticed any real issues with themā€¦

@Akira_San: So, cascaded shadows are a part of Eevee?

Yes we need gpu skinning for Ik armatures(Still waiting for Lordloki to find time). :slight_smile:
Yep CSM are part of Eevee shadows, but are not yet in Eevee. Sun lamp is on todo.

I use 5 lights to get get good shadows. Also group instances need a massive update, like support for multiple animated objects and parenting it to dynamic, rigid body and soft body objects.

Donā€™t know if anyone is watching youles videos but I thought I would share oneā€¦not comments are disabledā€¦I hope he does not mind me sharing, if so, I will edit this reply.

When people finally make up their minds for the working of the blender Game Engine then, if Blender wants to be more than just used for creating small games I might return to making real life maritime historical routes, era early 19th Century, 20 km to about 45 km in size using AI ship traffic and drivable sailing ships. Terrain based on satellite data srtm2, rivers and estuaries created, scenarios created. Tidal rise can be created, working locks, and many other effects can be created with the Blender Game as it is now!

Blender Game Engine even now can do a lot more than just create small games. Apparently I seemed to be the only one on these forums that creates real life simulations? At present Blender seems to be ā€˜stuck in a rutā€™, of just small game making, art scenes, etc. So an older persons opinion who likes AND MAKES real life simulations. Frame rates vert sync so far never dropped below 60 on all routes I have made.

So at present closed my site and downloads no longer available as there seems to be too much uncertainly for making routes available for download, at max size of about 15 meg zipped, for integrated maritime routes.

Barry

Calm down barry :slight_smile: we are all ā€˜in the same boatā€™ here so to speakā€¦we all want good things for the bgeā€¦BGE people are a good bunch, we are here with youā€¦not against you :)ā€¦and if the old bge works for youā€¦then, you can still use itā€¦
I consider my project pretty bigā€¦not just in terms of size 20km across(not diagonal) with full quest and inventory systemā€¦the art needs some work yesā€¦but in the right hands BGE is fully capable of making a ā€˜bigā€™ game, not just toys.

I could be misunderstanding you, but you seem rather upset?

you can store significantly smaller maps berry using a dictionary and a kdtree.

What does this have to do with the future of the Blender Game Engine? Whatā€™s the relation with Eevee?