Future past

“No one knows who built these structures of stone or what they were used for. The Wise Ones tell stories of an ancient civilization that vanished from the face of the earth…”

My contribution to the CG Boost “Power of Nature” challenge. I wanted to show the power of nature that works over long periods of time. What would it look like, if we were long forgotten…? I especially enjoyed sculpting the different stone assets and make them look old and eroded.

Most of the fine details are not really visible in the final picture, but the exercise was a lot of fun And I learned a lot about creating more complex shader node trees. Using render passes for compositing in Photoshop was a cool new experience too!

Feedback is very welcome!

Final image:

AO pass:

Mist pass:

Rough sketch for the scene (I really suck at drawing!!! ;-)):

57 Likes

WOW! Fantastic!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

2 Likes

I am speechless… Thanks a lot, it’s an honor. :slight_smile:
A great weekend to you too!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

You are the man, Bart! Thanks! :raised_hands:

1 Like

Amazing work !!!

1 Like

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile:

what is the polycount for this, seems MASSIVE! looks really good

1 Like

Thanks man! The whole scene has 7.4 million faces / 12 million tris. I worked on an iMac since I started using Blender, and I never could go above ca. 2 million polygons, which was very annoying. So I recently got a new PC and that gives me much more freedom to create the scenes I always wanted to create… :wink:

super travail

1 Like

Merci beaucoup!

Amazing work! I’m in awe at the amount of detail you worked into the scene. And the final result has a great atmosphere. Great job!

1 Like

Thanks for the kind comment! :slight_smile:
It really helped me to develop a vision and make a rough sketch of what I wanted the scene to look like from a certain camera perspective. From then on, it was just looking at a lot of references of jungle and overgrown ruins and stuff. Got a lot of inspiration from there. :wink: