Game Blender People

What is cool, and how does it really apply to an older person, or parent, as I am? I don’t really consider myself old, I am 40 by the way, and have two sons. One is 13, who is a Blenderhead, and the other is 3, who can already kick most teens arse in any multiplayer games. (It is amazing to see a three year old work a keyboard and mouse as expertly as mine does, it just blows my mind) and may I add that at 4 years of age my oldest son completed every level in Super Mario Bros, and discovered the hidden levels, all dark, if I remember right, all on his own. My oldest son (NDNWarrior) is a founding member as am I. He is a straight A STudent in Accelerated classes, and also is a Great athelete. He has been Quarterback for the towns football team since age 7, a Star Baseball Player, and a great Soccer Player since that age also. I have never censor very much from my boys, so as they would know what the real world was really like, and have no false conceptions. I have always made it a point to communicate with them on a very personal level. I have always treated them with respect, and always expect the same from them. I always tell them, a person has to earn respect, you just dont get it because your older. I tell them just because your old, doesnt mean your wise. Wisdom comes from experience, not age. I respect my sons privacy, my oldest has his computer in his room, I always knock before entering. I dont go thru his drawers, or check his history on his computer when he is not home, I would be ashamed! My oldest knew how to drive a vehicle by age 7, and my youngest can already operate our tractor on his own. My oldest likes RAp, and he does download songs with explicit lyrics, he does play computer games that are violent and gore filled. If he feels anything might be objectionable to me or his mother, he will ask us to view or listen to it, and usually agree to what we decide is OK. ( I am very against any kind of censorship, and am a very liberal Parent) That doesn’t mean I like everything I hear, but I do believe in FREEDOM OF SPEECH, and ARTISTIC EXPRESSION, and I know without a doubt, that just because my son may listen to ICE TEA’S “Cop KILLER” or Plays COUNTERSTRIKE, he isn’t going to go out and shoot anybody. (And it pisses me off when I hear Parents Blame a video Game or Music for ther childs anti-social behaviour) That is just a cop out, trying to blame something else, other than their selfs, for their own PARENTAL short comings… If you are offended by it, dont listen to it, but dont try to make it so I cant listen, I may like it. His friends love to come over, they enjoy the freedom and respect I show them.

Before you decide whether or not I am a “COOL” older person, let me give you the FLIP SIDE…

When my son has friends over, I allow no foul language, they are told up front, they are not to do anything here that their parents would not allow them to do at home. I do meet with all of my sons friends parents before they are allowed to set foot in my home, so I know a bit about them, and that the parents understand my rules. I expect every single young person to treat myself and my wife with respect while in my home, or while I am responsible for them. (Am I starting to sound like one of the UNCOOL Older Persons) Any one of them screw up, (1 STRIKE AND YOUR OUT) they will never set foot in my house again. And yes it is my house, I make the RULES… My son is expected to do well in school, expected to do chores everyday, and is to volunteer for some type of community work every year, which we all participate in… (sounding more UNCOOL?) When I ask my son to do something I do not tolerate any back talk, he is to do it immediatly, and in good faith. He is to be in bed at a certain time during school nights, no exceptions. His homework is to be done and done correctly and immediatly upon arriving home from school. Projects to be done are to be well thought out and done before they are due.

Even though The rules in my home are very strict, and not at all flexible, My sons enjoy more freedom, and are treated as adults in many ways, much more than any other young persons their ages I have ever known, And because my boys continue to act in a responsible way, and ABIDE by the rules of our home, they continue to enjoy privilages seldom seen by peers their own age.

So what makes an older person cool?, I couldnt tell you, But I do know it is a double edge sword, a balancing act. It is a very tuff job being a resposible Parent, to constantly watch out for your childs best interests and well being, while also trying to be open and best friends with them.

I remember when being forty and having a family wasnt even imaginable to me, that that time would never come. I distincly remember in high school thinking, "Man, the year 2000, thats a lifetime away, well it is here, and past. It comes and goes with suprising speed. I know this is an old cliche’, but many of you young people, will be forty and fifty, in the future, and think to yourself, man time flies… So enjoy everyday to your fullest, be kind to all, and most important be true to yourselfs, and all will be ok.

NDNChief, Rambling on again!

I’m 15, ahhh I feel old!!! :wink:

Alot og people here are 13-16. I thought most people here were old.
(no offence JRT :slight_smile: )

blenderowl: young people rulezzz 8)

for all: maybe making a game together???

maybe???

not a bad idea bverlaan. After the game contest though.
We can have another contest the young guys and gals vs the old people :wink:
i guess it would be 13-20 vs 21+ or something.
you old guys up to the challenge :smiley:

Me, I’m 12, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH ha…
nevermind.

when did you start (i started when i was 11)

How come i never saw any of you people who say you started at age 11 on the old www.blender.nl message boards? I started about a year and a half ago (when i was about 13). I was really into game making at that time because i had been using RPG Maker 2000 (anybody else used that?) and I was really into it. I wish I had spent more time on the modeling aspect so i could acually model some stuff today.

Pooba

I was there. :slight_smile:
Maybe you dont remember me.

I was there too, but I never post something because it was bad. I had to learn first till I thought it was good enough to do a post. 8)

otherwise I was the wurst blenderer in the world!!! nobody has to know that!!! 8) :wink:

roling, roling, roling
Learning, learning, learning :stuck_out_tongue:

I was at www.blender.nl! I’ve been using blender long enough to remember the non-game blender and the C-Key! You may remember, I confused everybody at the forum with my question “How can I make an elevator?” apparently no one had done it before. I did finally figure it out though, and I can say more some other time.

Beware the power of penguins.