Game Chracter: Cowboy

Just started on this model about 3 days ago. He would of already been textured if it werent from catching a “rouge anti-spyware” virus called SECURITY SPHERE 2012 from looking at a photo reference of a 1800’s cowboy off of Google images. No download or anything, it installed in the background without my permission. It took couple hours of headache, but I found that bastard virus and destroyed it.

Sorry for ranting.

Anyways, this is my model for a game I am currently designing, I consider him low poly, but I have come to recognize people have different views of what low poly is(Model File Size: 615kb). He is not yet textured, but what should I correct on him, before textured? Add anything? Delete anything? Does he even look like a cowboy? I will also post photos after being textured for more input.

REMINDER: I AM NOT A EXPERT! I found blender a couple months ago when 2.5 was first released, and been hooked ever since. I quit playing almost all games, and even am now in college majoring in Computer Programming and Computer Auto CAD/Animation on the side(1st Semester of Doing This), just because of this program.

Thanks for any help, comments, or input! :ba:

Attachments

legs are weird but cannot place

I think it’s a great looking model, I like the hat. I think the legs look a bit weird for the lack of a belt line. Obviously he’s wearing a belt, but I mean if he had pants on there’d be a pant line above the belt that’s parallel to his hips, right now it looks like he’s wearing a one piece outfit which makes the legs look strange. The boots look more like those of a super hero than a cowboy, but then again it depends on your characters personality for the game.

What type of game are you working on?

A third person RPG, focused around the 1800’s - 1900’s. So I am trying to go for a realistic looking cowboy. But I have to agree wiht both of you, the legs do not look quite right by I was not able place it, but thanks “atr” for the input about the belt line, and boots. What should I add the boots to help increase the realness? I was thinking lifting the sides of lip and keeping the front and back the same height, then a leather texture to it.

I feel as though the soles of the boots could be a bit more substantial. Lifting the sides of the lip sounds about right, perhaps add some additional definition where the pants meet the boot, some ruffling of the pant leg to acknowledge the boot.

Here’s some progress on my character. Atr I did not add belt loops, because as I studied old cowboys, I noticed that many did not even wear a belt to hold there pants up, many used overall or tied their pants. I am aiming before even Denim was invented, the pants will most likely have a tweed fabric pattern. The type of belt he is wearing was mainly for holding their weapon and ammunition, not to hold up pants. But I did take your advice on the pants and boots. With some other additions.
How do they look? Anymore suggestions?

BTW thank you guys for your input!

Looks like a character from a game I’d enjoy. Lookin’ forward to it.

It almost looks like the pants are too tight on the legs, especially around the knees, giving them a womanly appearance. Maybe make them a little straighter. But other than that it looks pretty good so far!

I think you should add a belt for the pants, to give viewers a reference. Otherwise, the waist looks too long.

Besides, the gunslingers of the west would actually wear two belts: one to keep their pants up, and one to hold the holsters of their guns.

http://204.14.17.70/final/1/7/1779647/580624.jpg