Game Engine Audio help

I am having an issue with wav files in the game engine. I have attached 24 wav files to a mesh and play them, one at a time, by adding their actuator and setting their gain to 1, then setting it to 0 when I want it off. I have the actuators set to play/stop. The files are around half to one second long. The problem is that they randomly will not play properly, some will play fine then others will not play and instead there is, for want of a better word, a click or slight static kind of sound. Is there something I am doing incorrectly?

The BGE sound system is buggy and in desperate need of improvement. However, until that time comes, you can use PyGame in your games. That is, if you’re not afraid of a little Python :wink:

Here a link to a thread talking about PyGame:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108466

Hi, lyon-hart

which is your operating system?
Could you post that .blend?

Regards,
lordloki

Jorge how is your work with BGE sounds going?

I almost have the ffmpeg library integrated with openal library (through alure decode callbacks).
At this moment I can reproduce Wav, aiff, mp3, flac, wma, etc. BUT i have problems with the Ogg files (crash the implementation).
I think that in a pair of weeks I can release a build and a patch.

Good to hear you are still working on it!
From your other thread:

Are you still trying to do this? sounds cool.

I’m going to wait to the followings features be implemented in ALURE

From ALURE main developer (Chris Robinson)

Tentative future plans for the library include:

• Automatic buffer queueing. An app can provide a source and stream handle,
    and the library will asynchronously stream the sound through the source for
    you.
  • Effect loading. Load files (ASCII text describing a particular effect) into
    EFX effect objects.
  • Bulk sound loading. Load a full directory tree/zip archive into an array of
    buffers, with the path+filename given back for each for identification, and/or
    providing a list of filenames and have them all load into an array of buffers.
  • Source management. Use handles to manage OpenAL sources, so that an app
    needn’t be too concerned about what to do when running out of physical
    sources… the lib will make sure the most audible are the ones being heard.
  • Scene management. Provide managed sources, listener data, and effect areas,
    and the lib will make sure the sources closest to the listener are heard,
    effects will be applied according to the listener and source environments, and
    be updated in real-time.

When Automatic buffer queueing be implemented I will update the code to support “from memory” and “from stream” methods. At this moment the unique method available in BGE sound is from memory.

"The BGE sound system is buggy and in desperate need of improvement. However, until that time comes, you can use PyGame in your games. That is, if you’re not afraid of a little Python

Here a link to a thread talking about PyGame:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=108466"

This entire thing is pretty much python. But I also need 3d sound and I read that pygame can’t do that? With 3d sound I have attached a sound file to a mesh and I set the camera at positions around the mesh according to a csv file. But the sound is rather distorted, before this I was naively switching between 4 cameras around the mesh and it worked finely, maybe I’ll go back to that…

Oh, and I’m using 32XP

okey, thank you for your answers, and your work on bge.