Game Engine Vehicle sneak preview.

Which sadly may put Blender in a position where it will be even more hard to write a sucessful commerical game.

Hi Guys, Thanks to Erwin and Snailrose for their dedication to the GE. I downloaded 2.41 and I can see some of the improvements etc., but the backgrounds still become jerky when I use a follow camera on a moving object. If I fix the camera and allow the object to move around, then the object’s motion is jerky. It sort of…flickers if you know what I’m getting at. I’ve tried all of my old programs, and generated some new ones. Same problem. Has anyone else noticed this, or am I the only one?? The doppler shift on sounds also no longer works. If you “enable all frames”, then its fine, although too fast. The problem then is, that if save the runtime file, then the enable all frames things no longer has any effect, and the flickering is back. On 2.34 this does not happen. Thanks.

Keith R

Yup, jerks here too with my demo’s

Yeah I have this bug too. If i set restitution on the floor material it helps a tiny bit. I hope this is fixed for the release, all the other great features are awesome.

Well now I do not feel so bad. I thought I was the blender user with the worse system. Try this. 700mhz celeron 192 mb RAM, something called a Lynx3d video chip with 4mb VRAM.

In other words I am just limping along on this laptop. The debate is weather I should go cheap and quick and get one with that “Intel integrated” video chip or be more patient and save up for on with a dedicated Nvidia chip.

The timing in the mainloop became flacky.
Can you check it with the latest RC2 version? And post a blend that shows the effect? I might have time to fix it for upcoming releases.

Thanks,
Erwin

I tried a lot of demo’s I have here, and I found out some strange things that where included in 2.25, got fixed 1 release and went back again.

Non lighten faces stay grey.
This is a serious problem I think.
I made a scene, 1 light source, a few objects with lightning enables, and a rotating camera. Now what I wanted is to test if it’s possible to make a night game.
I run the game and what I get is that the side where the light can’t reach it instead of black, grey. So I added 2 spheres 1 painted with black vertices color, and another just normal mesh color.
Now I run the game and the black sphere is totally black, even on the front where the light lights the sphere. The rest of the objects there non-lighten side is still grey.
I zip my blend wanted to post here but I thought let’s check again for sure, double clicked my light_problem.blend file, and pressed p. And suddenly the side of the objects that aren’t lighten are now really black. I thought wooow great.
So I saved a runtime to check it out, run the runtime and the sphere that was in blender’s engine black painted is now grey, as well the non-lighten sides of the objects. Strange so I close blender, load the blend file and check. The black sphere is black again, but non-lighten faces are grey. I exit blender double click the blend and everything is black again on the non-lighten side.

I have no clue what causes this strange thing, sometimes it loads and the lightning seams to be fine, and sometimes it’s half/half and in runtimes it’s always grey, even black painted or non-lighten faces.

Here the blend: http://86.82.211.33/blender/blender_problems/light_problem.zip
I tested it with the 2.41 RC2, on windows with a Geforce 2 TI, but I think the gfx card shouldn’t be a problem because it’s the basic lighting of the game engine that has this strange thing, and it should support it.

I hope you can redo the error, the blend file should help with that.
I really want to know what causes this. :slight_smile:

JD-multi

I downloaded the light_problem.blend file and found out that what you said was true (there was no bright spot in the middle) and I figured out how to correct it.

select the black sphere, and go into the materials button thing. Then click on (add new material) and leave everything as is. Then run the game again. It should work.

Yeah now the balck sphere is fixed, it’s now being lighten by the lamp, but still the rest of the objects aren’t black on the non-lighten side, and in 2.37 they are.

Would this be a good time to implement a save game feature? I know we have a script, but it’s complex and I don’t really understand how to use it or what it does. The best savegame would be one where the engine itself would save a file detailing the exact current state of the game, including properties and actor positions, maybe even an option (which could be turned on and off in IPO actuators) to save the current frame of an IPO, so that if an IPO was at frame 50, when you restart the game it would still be a frame 50.

My idea is that this could be controlled through a “Load/Save Game” actuator. This actuator could specify the name of the file to be saved (or loaded) as well, so that one could have multiple savegames.

|  ----------------------------------     |
|  |Name: Game1.sav             |     |
|  ----------------------------------     |
-----------------------------------------

My cute little ASCII mockup. On actuation this would either save or load the game file of your choice, depending on whether you’d chosen save or load from the drop-down menu.

As I’m not a developer, I have no idea how hard this would be to do, but it would be a great feature!

Crap… I have to wait to get home to download. Get this- Blender3d.org is blocked on my school server… Curse it!!!

A pox on all content filters!

I’m getting some problems:

Blender 2.41 Mac OS X 10.3.9, 700 mhz 640mb ram, GeForce 2 MX graphics card

The dynamic lights worked fine if I opened it up in Blender and not opened it externally. there wasn’t anything in the console on both times

Note: I ran these only once, so the repeating wasn’t because I kept on trying it

[edited]

externally?

going into finder, locating the file and double clicking on it

the gameplayer needs a commandline argument. For the next release, this is not necessary anymore.

Ive made a quick trackm using the vehicle demo build. When i drive the car past a certain point i get a massive drop in FPS and a “framedOut: 9” (then 10, 11 etc) message in the console.

Any ideas whats causing this?

I’ve been playing around with the vehicle blend. I must say it’s quite excellent. Here is a hummer I made. change cams with 1,2,3,4 keys
the player cam is still a work in progress

get it here:
http://www.upload2.net/download2/1QmIDdp1MYgbBno/4th_hummer.blend.html

To make it even cooler, download Halo Total audio Mp3 and start it up with media player set to repeat and then start the .blend file.
get that here:
http://nikon.bungie.org/music.html

that link is highlighted “here” right-click and save as.

-late 8)

Sorry if this has already been posted:

1. Sumo physics is now broken. Objects that worked before now jump uncontrollably and then fall through surface plane.

2. Still have problems with objects not sliding using Bullet physics no matter what friction settings I’ve tried.

Alright, given my knowledge of this kind of stuff it’s probably just me being stupid, but when I run vehicle1.blend and start the game the center block just falls to the ground and sits there…

Any idea what’s wrong? My computer’s pretty fast and I’ve got a 128mb Radeon GPU so I doubt it’s a hardware issue.

Th3w-san = you probably don§t use the latest build?