Gamekit, please help [ANSWERED].

I have been looking for some straightforward python tutorials relative to the game engine, but so far all I have found is a few pages on the matter which really don’t do alot for a begginer. I couldn’t find one complete gameblender python tutorial (if you know of one please post it here)

This is the reason why I need the gamekit.pdf, because I have been told that it has exactly what I am looking for. So please, If you can just email it to me ([email protected]) I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

hey…i was looking for that pdf, too…so if anyone has a link, plz post it as well, because an email to Hardware wouldn help them other users out there…^^ and i need help, too :smiley:

Are you guys talking about this?

http://www.mindinnovations.dyndns.org/modules/xfsection/article.php?articleid=7

Erwin also has the same one with the continuosphysics link, but I don’t remember what the link was.

Umm… as for a gamekit.pdf, lol if you guys are referring to the one blender sells online, heh, just go and buy it.

Jason Lin

Actually this is the ORIGINAL game engine documentation. From about 6 years ago. So much has changed with the game engine and blender since then that I would think that this would confuse a lot of new people if they read it

No, not that much has changed in fact. All the stuff that works in the documentation there works the same as it does now.

You read that in addition to the new documentation that’s out there (ie: snailroses docs on his new additions utilizing materials).

The above docs are probably the best that goes through all the basics. For all the extra additions to the blender GE, you could use the online docs for that.

Online doc on 2.34 (most recent doc on the GE)
http://www.blender3d.org/documentation/pydoc_gameengine/PyDoc-T2-Gameengine-2.34/index.html
Game Blender Materials
http://download.blender.org/documentation/GE/Blender.htm

Jason Lin

Indeed. This document is still quite accurate and useful.
Also, here is a slightly newer version:

http://www.continuousphysics.com/ftp/pub/test/index.php?dir=&file=gBlenderDoc.pdf

Erwin

goldentaiji>

Thank you for the link to the gameblender manual. Im wondering. Does the gamekit contain any information that this manual doesn’t? It’s probably much more in depth i would think, hence I need it. I do not want to purchase it, because:

1. It is very, very old, and should be free to all users by now.

2. I have bought the blender 2.3 manual ($50), I think thats enough of a
    contribution from me.

3. I can buy it, but I have spent so much on books lately (new semester new books ,over $250), that spending another dime on any other book, (not to mention one for “FREE” software, that should come with “FREE” knowledge) just doesn’t seem right.

erwin>

Thank you for the slightly newer version.

=========================
But please, I still want the blender gamekit, so please email it to me as soon as you can. Thank you.

(not to mention one for “FREE” software, that should come with “FREE” knowledge) just doesn’t seem right.

Heh, that does sound kinda weird, but hey Blender’s free for one reason, it’s cause there’s people around that make it happen.

Free knowledge is there, but for the GE most of it isn’t going to be in tutorials that you find around the net. It’s the people that use the engine. %| Problem is making a game can be so general, that you won’t find many tutorials out there from others that have learned how to use it well.

However, snailrose put a really huge effort in doing so. https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22674&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0, That’s by far the longest GE tutorial I’ve ever seen. The game kit covers many other things too, but if you go through snailrose’s tutorial you would be pretty well off.

Jason Lin

1 – The information in the Gamekit Book is very relevant and current with respect to 2.41. In addition to the book the CD contains many valuable demos and other hidden gems. Please do not confuse supporting free software with the software itself.

2 – Please feel free to contribute some of the knowledge gained with others here. This is the spirit of “freedom”. The software is “free” as in speech but that freedom requires sacrifice in order to truly enjoy it.

3 – Please be aware that free/open license that Blender uses is designed for a specific purpose and that is to keep it free. Can you think of any of the other 3D software suites that are as open and free as Blender? Suppose I told you how to use the software that would meet your expectations and then demand a considerable license fee for its *continuous" use?

Besides true knowledge does not come without sacrifice.

regards,

honeycomb

1. Ok, but that doesnt change the fact that it is very, very old, and that it should be free by now for all to use. Also supporting free software should be something that is optional, because the software is free in the first place. It should not be a catch-22, where the software is free but you still have to buy instructions on how to use more complex aspects of it.

2. You did read the part where I clearly state that I payed $50 dollars for the 2.3 guide, right? I believe that is sacrifice enough, and I would be happy to answer any questions the community may have, to which I might have the answers to.

3. That’s great, but you don’t tell me how that saves me $250 (which was the amount I “had” to spend on this semesters books). I respect everything that blender represents, but for the software to truly be “free” ALL the instructional material on how to use that software must be free as well.

Sacrifice?? Why are you talking about this like its some deep dynasty s**t, im just a guy asking for a favor. It’s like your trying too hard to sound wise or something.

How about you “sacrifice” 5 minutes of your time and email me a copy of the gamekit (if you have it that is). Or, do you think that supporting “the community” is wrong?

If you can help me do so, if you can’t you shouldnt have posted in the first place. Not trying to offend you or anything but its just a waste of space.

ow about you “sacrifice” 5 minutes of your time and email me a copy of the gamekit (if you have it that is).

Heh, rather illegal since to own it you need to buy it. Even though something is free, not all things pertaining to it has to be. The information for blender is freely out there, it’s just that if you want the information for free you need to take the extra effort and go digging yourself. If you don’t want to go digging that’s why there’s a GameKit to purchase.

Go through snailrose’s tutorial and the stuff listed in the demo/tutorials list. :wink: That won’t steer you wrong.

Jason Lin

Illegal? We are not talking about pirating movies or music here, and last time I checked the RIAA isn’t checking your email. It’s just a blender 3d book, I can assure you, no one will “a)know” (you don’t have to leave a message that you emailed it to me, just email it anonymously) and threfore no one will “b)care”. At the end of the day, you just helped out someone, thats all.

As for all the tutorials, they are great and I am greatefull to all the people who took the time to write them, but the gamekit seems to be the best, most in depth tutorial on the game engine, and therefore I want to start there.

Again, for something to be truly free it needs to be free in all its aspects. Meaning everything from software to documentation, but thats just my opinion.

Illegal? We are not talking about pirating movies or music here, and last time I checked the RIAA isn’t checking your email. It’s just a blender 3d book, I can assure you, no one will “a)know” (you don’t have to leave a message that you emailed it to me, just email it anonymously) and threfore no one will “b)care”. At the end of the day, you just helped out someone, thats all.

As for all the tutorials, they are great and I am greatefull to all the people who took the time to write them, but the gamekit seems to be the best, most in depth tutorial on the game engine, and therefore I want to start there.

Again, for something to be truly free it needs to be free in all its aspects. Meaning everything from software to documentation, but thats just my opinion.[/quote]

If I see one more post about sending the Blender Gamekit to someone without buying it, which I see as pirating, I lock this topic.

Blender3D is free, there are bunches of free tutorials all over the internet, there it irc.freenode.net #gameblender channel which have a lot of people in it to help oyu. Also check out the top topic of this Game Engine Forum, it contains huge amount of tutorials/games/sources.

The GameKit is made by Ton and a few another persons. They have put time and effort into it and printed it for you or exported is as an PDF file. Now when you have put hours of work into it to help people, but this time with some better and extra help, you want someting in return. As well that the Foundation has to pay the bills of the producing of this book.

Now you have a free 3D application which aready saves you 6000 dollar or a little less, and you still think about pirating a Blender GameKit. They already gave you something powerfull, don’t wanna get credits nor money from producing commercial things and now you want to rip something where they get money from to do things like developing blender. Pfff

So remember buy it, but I defently don’t wanna see any talking here about a Blender Gamekit to be send over e-mail for free. If you want to get it that way, sure use one of those warez websites and do it, but that’s your own choice.
I bought it when I started to learn the game engine, and I found it really usefull as well that it included a lot of source files and games to look at and learn from. As well it was my way to contribute to the foundation like I also did with the 2.3 manual. :slight_smile:

Ooh and asking for things to be send over e-mail while you have to buy it, those conversations are forbidden on Elysiun, remember that.

Finally someone who knows how to help out. Thanks for directing me the right way, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place, perfect.

Thank’s alot Jd-multi.

Just becasue no one will “know” does not make it right.

Lol, it’s a just a (very,very…old) book my innocent little friend. I promise no one will die as a result of me getting it for free.

This topic will be locked. The discussion is still going on, as well asking for something you have to pay for is not allowed on Elysiun. Better by it in the e-shop.

Greetz JD