Games Like Siberia, Myst, and So On

Hey I have seen so many unbelievable games, that have been made with the awesome blender, one type of game I have not seen yet is games like Syberia, Myst, Tunguska Files, and so on.
No those item finding games, but adventure story games.
Do you know of a game made like those in blender’s constantly progressing game engine?

Dead Cyborg’s a first-person adventure game, which is kinda similar to Myst. Otherwise, I think there’s someone making one that has pre-rendered scenes right here on the forums, but I can’t remember the name of the game.

Syberia style games are not that difficult (from logic perspective). But you need very good artistic skills to create the models and backgrounds.

I did a “proof-of-concept” some years ago. This produced a pretty amazing result (in my eyes) compared to the effort. Here is a video from this demo:

Perhaps a template would be nice to have.

Yes! This game is a lot like Myst! I looked at it on Youtube, and it looks awesome, Blender continues to amaze me!!
Thanks so much for your answer SolarLune!

YES! this reminds of Syberia, the “proof of concept” you did, is a great answer to my Syberia part of the question!
I must get to work on an adventure game, with a similar movement to your character in your video!
Thanks so much for answering Monster!!!
P.S. GREAT JOB ON THAT CREATION!
I love BLENDER!!!

Do you mean like a video of what I’m talking about?
I don’t know if I can link it, but look up Syberia and Myst. If you don’t find it, try typing game behind it.
Also type it in youtube, to get an idea of what I mean.

Im talking about a game template, like fps, tps, rpg, adventure template, etc… ( a premade stuff ).

That would be awesome!! Maybe I could make one!!

Today most game engines comes with templates, Unreal4, Unity3d, even the BGE have some around the forum and the blendswap. But some adventure template would be really nice to have! Just look at the unity3d Adventure Creator https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/11896

Templates are nice to learn from. They can be a good starting point if you do not want to deal with each single aspect of your game. But anyone has to prepare such a template. They should be designed in a way that it is easy to understand the architecture. While this should be true to all game projects, templates needs this more then every other. For some reason, the most templates posted at the reource forum seem to be first person shooter ( maybe because the are pretty easy to create ).

I do not think that adventures are that diffucult, they request a lot of work in asset creation. Nevertheless templates would be nice. How about an “Adventure template contest”?

“Adventure template contest”

That would be great. I guess youll need more python skills for it.

Point-&-Click Adventure Game

Yep, that would be it!

The most basic Part are the Controls, and since BGE has builtin Pathfinding, that is absolutely no Problem anymore! (Just add an Empty to navigate to via Steering Actuator (set to Pathfinding) and if the Player clicks somewhere, place the Empty at the beclicked HitPoint.)

BUT more complex Dialogue Trees are not the most mundane of Tasks – though not all Oldschool Adventure Games need complex Dialogue.
AND the much more horrifying Thought for any None-Python-Expert is to make a proper Inventory, and most Kinds of Adventure Games certainly need that.

It depends: Do you want to make a Myst-Style Game? Then you will not need complex Dialogue Trees, Dialogues might simply be Monologue-Cutscenes of some NPC. And you might not need an Inventory – MYST never had an actual Inventory, as the Puzzles did not require that.

But if you want to make a Syberia-Style Game, or in other Words any classical Point-&-Click Adventure Game, you will probably need Dialogues AND an Inventory.
The only Exception that comes to my Mind right now is the at first Glance and control-wise rather classical PC Game to Blade Runner, but it is most unorthodox in having actually very, very simple Dialogues and pretending to have an Inventory but you never use anything from it and it basically just sets Values like “you have that particular Item”, and if you have it and click on a specific Thing in the Environment, Progress happens automatically, same with Dialogues. That is a strangely cheap but comfortable Solution, I must admit.

EDIT:
Oh, and Machinarium basically has no real Dialogues, and the Inventory is for the most Part simple but still there.

That is a very cool looking template, and I also am amazed at the price.
I am going to look at templates now, because it would be super awesome to make one, that people can understand, easily use, and learn from!
What forum area should I look at for templates?

I agree, it reminds me a lot of when I was growing up and I used an RPG Maker, just only this is far better and much more time worthy, hehe!
I agree, that they are good starting points, because a lot of times, I like to take a template apart and rebuild it, to understand how everything works.
Yes, I agree, I do see alot of FPS games, maybe a Adventure Template Contest will make it so all of use build cool template, HEY, we could even combine them in the end!!!

I would totally want to join this contest, though I would certainly lose, hehe, I would learn a lot, and that’s what I am mainly interested in.
This is a unique contest as well, I wonder it you are the first to ever think of this, because this is my first time hearing it! :slight_smile:
Thanks so much for your reply Monster and Idea!!! :smiley:

Plugable aspects (camera navigations, menus, dialogsystems) would be nice, but needs quite a few experience. Nevertheless a template would show how they work together.

I do not think you can loose. The good thing about such a contest would be that everybody is winning.
The one who joins will get experience on game development.
The one who finishes a template, discovers how to get around all the little obstacles.
The one who “judges” an entry will be able to compare different solutions on several aspects of a game.
The one who looks at the entries, will learn several different solutions.
The one who looks for a template can choose from different solutions.

The only one loosing is the one not joining or not looking at the results :). Even they do not loose, they just miss ;).

So, If I were to make an inventory like game, would I need to add a little python programming?
It sounds fun, though I’m sure it can be difficult as well, have you ever had a chance to do this with BGE?

Haha, I like that, because it is extremely true!!!
I’m certainly up for this challenge! :yes:
Brilliant idea Monster and awesome backing, how would we do this contest?

I will open a thread for that. I think we should first fiddle out what is needed before even starting. I think it should be called “jam” rather then “contest” due to a “winning entry” does not disqualifies any other entry. It is heading off-topic for this thread, so I will open a new one soon.

I have a nice camera system in the works, I would love to help on a template.

I have many solutions for things worked out that are kinda nifity.

or …to some it up… I’m game :smiley:

lets start the show :smiley: