GE Domino: wha't going wrong here?

Hi,

I’m working on a domino simulation.
Take a look at the picture, I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong:
http://phoenixart.com/temp/Blender3D/domino/ge-domino--trouble2.jpg

And look what’s happening here, dunno why but the domino pieces stop to fall down:
http://phoenixart.com/temp/Blender3D/domino/ge-domino--trouble3.jpg

Care to post the .blend?

Here’s a demo I just made.

I think I’ll texture and add my resource archive Blender Resources |

All it is are cube with rigid body turned on. And bounds set to box.

Attachments

Dominos.blend (350 KB)

Sure, here’s the blend

Attachments

domino-clean.blend (944 KB)

-[Killer]-,

your domino setup is cool!
I would have several questions, but first: how do you align the cubes in that way?
Presently I’m using arrays and curve deformers…

YEA really nice allignment killer:)

Just wondering what I’m doing wrong with my blend file: in the meanwhile I’ve just noticed that the SEL and LINK for each cube isn’t checked.
I’ve redone the entire process this time turning on the SEL and LINK for each cube, but the result is still messy.

I’m using one cube, setting rigid body and bounds to box. I’m then duplicating it over, and over, again.

And are you aligning the cubes just by hand?

Phoenix, it looks to me like your bounding boxes are all very slightly over-lapping each other. You can see every donino wobble when you start so it makes sense that some would get completely pushed out. Just space them out a lil more and that should solve your problem.

Thanks for the hint TheDave.
I’ve tried adding more space between each piece, but the problem is still there

Attachments

domino–test2.blend (478 KB)

That helps. Now try and get them all to fall.

Attachments

domino–test2.blend (478 KB)

@ MC~Fresh
I know a rotation on the first piece is needed, but the problem here is just visible before this step: some pieces moves in a strange way.
Anyhow, if you try to play the simulation, you’ll see that just a few pieces fall down.

Try and separate them more, and tick game-show physics visualization to see the bounds

I just took a closer look at your simulation… Under the Object (F7) menu, turn on ‘Bounds’ for the DrawType and you’ll see that the bounding box doesn’t match the mesh shape. You’ll need to be in Wireframe mode to see it; they’re still overlapping. Killer seems to have it sorted, maybe have a look at the collision on his blocks?

I duplicated by hand, I help ctrl to make sure they’re all equal distance. It is a lot faster than you think. First duplicate 2, duplicate those 2, then duplicate the 4, duplicate 8, duplicate 16 (it goes really quick, really fast.)

Glad I could help, if you need any more questions about my example let me know.

Thanks to all of you for your precious support.
The Bounds hint it’s been precious since now I now what’s going wrong.
Here’s what’s happening.
The steps I’m following are the following ones:
1 - create a cube
2 - scale it as until it looks a domino piece
3 - apply the scale
4 - turn on the actor and related options under the logic menu
5 - add an array modifier

Ok, now comes the problem.
If I apply the array now, then separate (all loose parts) and Center new for all the new cubes, the simulation works fine.
But, since I’ve to align a lot of cubes to lay out a complex shape, I’m using a curve modifier as well.

So, continuing from the step 5
6 - add a curve modifier (with a Nurbs circle)
7 - apply the array, then the curve modifier
8 - now, after the separate and center new proces, the Bounds show clearly that something gone wrong.

Moreover, something I’m seeing only now, the curve modifier actually deformed the cubes, so that now they’re stretched along the axis I’m curving them.

This is a big problem, since aligning all the cubes by hand in the simulation I’m working on would be a real pain!
And I don’t see a solution!!

Here’s how the bounds look after the array + curve applied:
http://phoenixart.com/temp/Blender3D/bound-trouble.jpg

I still like my demo. I’m going to do an entire contraption now, with balls and dominos. Is there going to be another bullet physics competition?