Geek, Nerd, Dork.

What’s the difference? I mean, they all sound the same to me, and they all seem to be uesd in the same context.

Nerd:
One whose IQ exceeds his weight.

Geek:
Not to be confused with Nerd. A geek does not have to be smart, a Geek is someone who is generally not athletic, and enjoys Video Games; Comic Books; being on the internet, and etc.

Dork:
Someone who has odd interests, and is often silly at times. A dork is also someone who can be themselves and not care what anyone thinks.

I think that:

a dork is a guy with an interest, but no skill whatsoever.

a nerd is a guy with an interest, and skill.

a geek is a guy with an interest and skill, and a job to go with it; i.e., he’s professional.

I always thought:

Nerd: some one who enjoys school, has a weird hair cut, ect ect

Geek: Someone who is h4x0r on computers

Dork: Never used it before so I can’t comment on it.

Exactly what he said, Dork being the lowest, Nerd being in the middle, and Geek being the best.

Nerd: very smart but no social skills, verging on autistic, Michael Jackson is a Music Nerd for example. Bill Gates is a Master of the world Nerd.

Geek: very smart and social Skills, including fashion sense.

Dork: not very smart, and average social skills topped off with being a jackass: Steve Balmer. (i.e. a Dork is also a male whale’s genital unit).

I don’t think a geek has social skills, in fact; I think none of them have social skills! Geek is on the top, nerd in the mid, and dork at the bottom. Check thisout.

To me a nerd is inept in both athletic and social skills, and quite possible in intelligence as well. A geek on the other hand, may have strange interests but can still function along with everybody else. In this sense, being called a geek is okay, but being called a nerd is quite an insult. You guys have been hitting it right about dorks… :smiley:

Nerd: most often a science, math, literature nerd. They usually are a bit of a social outcast, because they are totally dedicated to the previous subjects.

Geek: Bill Gates, Steve Wozniak, Ton Roosendal :wink:

Dork: Loser

I call people a nerd when I feel like it. Generally when they’re making a bit of extra effort that doesn’t really produce any extra results. Or when they don’t make that extra effort when it somehow matters. It has nothing to do with nerds really. Just something I tend to say to friends.

Dork = windows user
Nerd = Mac user
Geek = Linux user

Priceless!

I’d say that nerds and geeks have social skills, they just aren’t “acceptably mainstream” in their views/interests. It does seem that “dork” is quite the insult.

i’ll go out on a limb and say that nerds and dorks are probably physically un-attractive and perhaps are a little uncoordinated

got to love these stereotypes.

I’ll bet that practically everyone on this forum thinks they’re a geek. Some might actually BE nerds and/or dorks though.

Some of those stereotypes can be harsh. =P

I’m an experienced programmer, but can run the mile in 5:30.

…lol

You are all assholes:cool:. LOL

Hey, guys, what the difference between a whore, a slut, a hussy, a tramp, a harlot, and a Jezebel?

Absolutely nothing:yes:

Geek, Dork, and Nerd are all the same thing. They are labels given by the ignorant to have, some sort of, social power over those who are different. The irony being, these individuals don’t care, socially, as much as the one giving them the label.

Personally I think that if you feel the urge to categorize and define them, they probably all apply to you…

roast.

True that!

I think of it like this…
A geek is someone who can tell you waaaay more than you want to know about something.
A nerd is a geek who doesn’t know when NOT to tell you more than you wanted to know.

I usually use dork as gangstas use the n word or if someone does something Homer Simpsonish. (ie. wassup dorks? or haha… you’re such a dork.)

Nah,

Say it loud!

I’m geek and I’m PROUD…

Nerd–Someone who is antisocial, often but not always smarter than the average person.

Geek–Someone who is interested, sometimes to extremes, in technical studies such as computers or engineering. Not necessarily antisocial, but again, there are exceptions.

Dork–Someone who makes dumb comments or does dumb things. Often clumsy.

My personal definitions. :slight_smile:

wow… I fit all three descriptions…