Generate Wear Textures with Dynamic Painting and Simulation

Hi,

I recently worked on methods to automate details and wear textures generation with vanilla Blender simulation tools and dynamic painting. I originaly did it because my texture painting skills were awful, but I believe that I came up with a few interesting and decently uncommon workflows during my trials.
I explained the first method in a short video and I believe it could benefit the art of some Blender users to see it.

This is an introduction to a serie of tutorials I am planning for intermediate/advanced Blender users.
These tutorials aim to show how to generate and bake various wear textures proceduraly thanks to different types of simulations.
We will cover:

• Rain dirt (included in this video)
  • Rust
  • Edges wear
  • Scratches
  • Sand abrasion

Allowing you to achieve this kind of final materials:

This first tutorial covers the rain dirt texture generation thanks to particles and dynamic painting.
Which will allow you to achieve physically plausible dirt.

Blender version: 2.79

Video tutorial:

I would be happy to answer your questions here or in the Youtube comments !

Enjoy !

Jacques

6 Likes

Nice method! Seems really useful :slight_smile:

Thank you insolitus !
The method takes a bit of time to set up in the first place to be honest, but the productivity benefits really show up once you are able to run the process without having to tweak the parameters again. Like any kind of automation, I guess.

For example, I was able to regenerate the textures every time I considered that I had made significant progresses on the modeling. Just to see what it would look like.
Here I was testing the simulation on a less advanced version of the model.

In the end, when everything is set up, you just press “bake” on the particles simulation, then “bake” on the dynamic paint tab.

2 Likes