Generated circular texture in a light node setting

Sorry guys, I just don’t get it. I want to generate the texture of a circle in a light. But it’s not working.

I have a Gradient Texture connected to a ColorRamp. But no matter how small I scale the circle and no matter how drastic I set the ramp settings, I never see a circle in my lamp. It’s either on or off when I change the mapping with Location.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a node missing? Hmm… when I connect a Noise Texture instead of the Gradient, I have no problem. When I use exactly this node tree as material for an object, there’s no problem. But why doesn’t it work with a light? Is this a bug maybe?

I would be very grateful for a tip!

Object cords are not good for this, lights now project UV’s so you can use UV cords, I set the mapping location x 0.5 and y 0.5, also used 0.5 scale.

1 Like

Hey @DNorman thank you so much for your help. But for some strange reason I’m not getting the result that you have??? wow…

What em I doing wrong??

Not sure it looks the same which version of Blender are you using? (I think light UV’s came a while ago).

I will send the file.

Spot.blend (102.7 KB)

OH …cycles only!

Oooohhh there you go… It‘s not working in 3.5! But it does work in 4.1!

ha… I’ve to use 3.5 because of concierge. I’m rendering there. Damn… So I have to think about a work around… Is there another render farm that you can recommend? Concierge only works with blender to 3.5 but is quit price worthy I think…

Sorry I have no idea about render farms.

Concierge is on the cutting block anyway, there are other rendering fish in the sea. I’ve used renderstreet before and they have a nice monthly plan. They also use the current release of blender on their servers.

1 Like

It seems difficult to make the shape you want with the lights.

dadd.blend (104.2 KB)

But you can use the mesh as a light. (blender 3.6)

Link has a way to apply it to lighting, but that node is not available. This seems to have changed from the lower version.

Add…

fssa

You can also use the -value of the light with a simple trick.

Before the UV thing we used to use the normal output of the texture coordinate node. The z location comes into play and it is a bit more tricky to adjust the placement of the circle with the colour ramp and z loc of the mapping.

This file is made in 3.5

spot35.blend (97.5 KB)

(I made the circle red just for fun.

1 Like