Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Is it this one?

Yes, then you assign the generated vertex group (currently with 0 users) to your particle system vertex-group slot :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is the main difference between the Camera cull in the Parametric Vertex-paint and the one in the Particle Display?
I ask because theParticle display seems to update in realtime while the another I have to click on recalculate.

That’s it, that’s the main difference + the procedural vertex-group mask version is using ray tracing algorithm meaning that it can cast shadows on non-visible areas.

Awesome, now I’m getting it… slowly but steady :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:.

I’m going to guess because @BD3D wants to focus on development rather than customer service till then. If it releases then he has to try to iron out every use case. I’m willing to bet he has even more tricks up his sleeve based on how elegantly he has already paired Geo Nodes with his own GUI implementations. Also the extended free beta allows free users to become addicted to the workflow at which point to cost of the plugin is nothing to them. It all kinda makes sense for a genius dreamer one man band imo…

2 Likes

Haha thanks :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s mainly because of blender 3.0. I think that geonode is still not mature enough and we’d be better to wait once the concrete is stable enough to officially release the beast, let say

+there’s still a lot of stuff to iron out indeed

It all kinda makes sense for a genius dreamer one man band imo…

Note that @carbon2 played a huge role into this new manual distribution method development :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you for correcting me! Props to @carbon2!

It looks great Dorian, will download and test it soon.
Graswald has released GScatter, Also free. Is it the same as your version or is there any difference other than the name?

No it’s not the same tool at all …

actually, I don’t even think this “GScatter” tool would exist if I didn’t shared my idea of creating a free geonode-based scattering plugin with Julius 8 months ago … how strange :thinking:

4 Likes

Nice work !!! :smiley: can’t wait to try it out

The plan existed before you talked. I know that as a fact. :slight_smile:

sure if you say so :wink:

Yes, that’s what I’m saying.

That’s believable, of course. It just would strengthen your believability if the name wasn’t such a lazy augmentation of Scatter in light of the fact that the devs were very publicly in contact at that time.

1 Like

for their defense the name “scatter” for plugins name is very common in the 3D industry.

but well, in another hand seeing confusion like this online… I already got multiple messages “asking for the differences” between both tools and all this within less than 24hrs…

the last thing i wanted to do is wasting my time on some dumb marketing :sweat_smile:

Capture d’écran 2021-06-05 223735

@Yukon could you guys at least brand yourselves as “Graswald Scatter” ? That would clear out the confusion by a lot! and I’d greatly appreciate the gesture :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is very impressive. I am assuming that the intention is for those tools to work with Scatter assets? For example using the Z align brush to comb grass in the right direction.

Not It can work with any assets you’d like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can always reach out to Julius to find out more. I still believe that Scatter and Graswald should work together and that together they can achieve great things. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am fully supportive of this and just hope the intentions are there in the real world!