Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Hi Dorian,
i can’t see some of the settings for manual distribution. (top menu for pressure, radius settings and so on like shown in your video)
It looks like this when i enter manual mode:

Any Idea?

Thanks,
Manu

Hey :slight_smile:

You don’t seem to have any header in this screenshot, only 3 button, what are those? is there something specific going on?

The settings are supposed to be on the header

it’s from kekit. ah ok, after disabling kekit it works and i see the header settings. seems like kekit overwrites something

1 Like

I seem to have encountered a bug in UI display. After using it, my header toolbar disappeared

Thanks for the report!
Could you show me a little image of the issues? as I’m not sure what you meant by “header toolbar” :slight_smile: Did you got error messages?

Sorry for the inconveniences

2 Likes

The addonis great. I just ran a simple test with it. When I use the brush tool, I enter a fixed interface. When I exit, I will not find the toolbar. I’m not sure if this is a UI error caused by other plug-ins I installed

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is a UI error caused by other plug-ins I installed

@jochen_fong indeed, you seem to be using a special tool that relook blender interface :sweat_smile:

I don’t think that this error is related to scatter, are you using “kekit” too?

You’re right. All this seems to have something to do with kekit. I stopped running kekit in the plug-in, and everything seems to be normal

1 Like

Ok i’ll install kekit to see what’s going on

1 Like

To be honest, it’s a powerful tool, a bit like the terrain tool in UE4, and blender lacks tools like this to make terrain related production more professional

This is all I’m doing: (see ke_tt.py)
bpy.types.VIEW3D_HT_header.prepend(VIEW3D_HT_KE_TT.draw)

1 Like

Wow, this looks awesome already. Please share your end result with us. I’m curious

A question about what is possible:

Is the mesh data of displacement created in the cycles shader nodegraph accessible to Geonodes/Scatter? It would be amazing if we could scatter along these meshes (dynamically) for creative reasons.

Along these lines some additional animation features that extend on top of existing wind and distribution tools would be amazing. In my case I would use abstract/non realistic dynamic displacements and abstract dynamic particle effects on top via Scatter. This is a far cry from the core functionality but I wanted to mention it in case it was fun to implement and could be under the “crazy stuff” header in the addon. Maybe I just need to learn Geonodes, ha!

No blender modifiers cannot access cycles displacement data unfortunately
I’ll note this in my to do list , maybe there’s some way to get around this issue

Crazy animation option Such as?

1 Like

Thanks for considering the cycles displacement feature although it sounds hard to solve.

I’ll play with Scatter5 more to see what the animation limitations are and get back to you on what extra options might be useful! Thanks @BD3D!

Right now there’s quite some limitations as python properties cannot be keyframed in blender

I still need to figure out how to solve this issue :slight_smile: I was hoping that a c++ dev would tell me why this is not supported by blender because it seemed really odd that this was never solved…

3 Likes

hi @BD3D, how to know the total number of ‘particles’ spawed with new scatter5 ?

If you can, please add option to scale up the particle in camera distance culling optimization section, useful for grass… with distance culling grass density reduction and same time grass scaleup to better fill empty areas… with independent scale axis we can scale XY axis only.

Ok I corrected the kekit problem. There was a few unusual stuff i needed to support there. expect it to be corrected on Beta v4 in the meanwhile kekit users can replace ui_manual.py file from scatter with this patched file below

ui_manual.py (57.6 KB)

hi @BD3D, how to know the total number of ‘particles’ spawed with new scatter5 ?

@wilBr you don’t that’s the problem with geonode
i’m working on it, it’s a high priority issue

If you can, please add option to scale up the particle in camera distance culling optimization section, useful for grass… with distance culling grass density reduction and same time grass scaleup to better fill empty areas… with independent scale axis we can scale XY axis only.

Hmmmmm :thinking:

IMO the camera clipping option is useful only as a viewport optimization feature. I don’t think that its useful as a rendertime optimization at all (as we are talking about instances here, and ray traced engines are extremely efficient with high polys )

4 Likes