Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Sure thing!

I scattered some pink cubes with the 16.3 Multi Preset.

Now I want to scatter some Cylinders for example but only in the empty white parts.

I thought there would be some kind of checkbox to just invert the map or texture, which is responsible for the distribution, but didnt find any button.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Ah i see, the 16.1 / 16.2 / 16.3 Multi and 17.1 / 17.2 / 17.3 Multi are special multi users presets that works together you can fill the blank by scattering with Preset 16.2 and 16.1

We explain the various presets in this page

You can still achieve the reverse density, if you want, by clicking on the reverse arrow button, in the pattern category

Capture d’écran 2022-04-17 175801

Oh I didn’t know they work together! Thanks for the answer, that was really helpful :slight_smile:

Have a good day

Is there a way to define which scatter object belongs to a certain color on texture map, or do I have to generate different systems and assign them to color? Same for the vertex color case.
Its just that I often used a texture for a single scatter system, where I used the lower number of source items on the border, and the higher in the area of full color. Then I only had to set the bigger plants to have a higher number and got a smooth grow effect…
Sorry, new to Scatter 5.1

Hi all i just wanted to pop back in here an say that im still having issues scattering forest biomes on all builds of blender, on m1 max. Im gonna have time tomorrow to try to replicate the issue and get it sorted out! Also I mentioned earlier adding something similar to the dynamic place tool found in C4D for the manual scattering portion of the addon would be so sick. It’s essentially a tool that intermittently turns the asset into a rigid body and the ground into a collider so that you can quickly drop assets into the scene and they fall in place in a natural way since its simulated. This seems like something that would fit very nicely in the scatter plugin. Also y’all do a great job on this addon and i use it for sooooo many of my daily renders! Cheers yall!

Yes you can use the ColorID instancing method :slight_smile: However most of the time you’ll want to adjust the distribution density for certain instance type, and that’s only possible with multiple system(s)

Its just that I often used a texture for a single scatter system, where I used the lower number of source items on the border, and the higher in the area of full color. Then I only had to set the bigger plants to have a higher number and got a smooth grow effect…

Interesting, could you show us what you mean?
Perhaps what you want is a smooth transition slider or something similar ? :thinking:

Sorry, new to Scatter 5.1

No problem, don’t forget to check out the online manual
gle.com/view/scatter5docs/manual

Issues ? What do you meant? it’s slow? you see bounding box? you don’t see anything ?

Perhaps this below will help
a lot of users are trying to scatter forests on too tiny terrain for forests

Could you show us a gif? always interesting to see the solution they found

Also y’all do a great job on this addon and i use it for sooooo many of my daily renders! Cheers yall!

Thanks!

Yes next time i jump in i will follow up with a Gif of dynamic place/rigid body based scattering and also next time im in front of my pc i will make sure my mesh is large enough for a forest scatter and if im still having issues i will follow up with a screen cap replicating the issue. Do you guys have a discord? Would be much easier for me to interact with the community that way

1 Like

Hey there, I was absent from blender for a while now so I might have just missed it but I got the ‘standard’ package for scatter back in Feb 2021 and I see I can’t download Scatter 5. I understand it’s been completely rebuilt from the ground up for gnodes so should I go ahead and get the individual license or am I missing something?
thanks in advance

hello

Yes indeed

We changed the half priced “light” product variation:

• Scatter4 Pro” variation is now simply called “Scatter5
  • Scatter4 Standard” will become “Scatter5 Free” a free version that will be released later this year.

You can upgrade with the code “scatterstandardupgrade” however I’m not sure it’s working during the sales, you’ll need to contact the blendermarket or wait for tomorrow if the code do not work.

1 Like

After playing a bit with scatter, I wonder if there isn’t a performance problem with geometry nodes. I mean had a good setup, but when scaling up a lawn scenes to like 50x20m with 1% in viewport I thought its ok, but when did the render, Blender took minutes to just do a single sample. Then I turned on the geometry im viewport and had to wait 2 min, till Blender reacted, and display where set to boxes only.
Particle count roughly 100k or less.
Its a rebuild I did with Vray in another software and never had any delay. Is there a faster method without geometry node? Or is a fix to come im 3.2?

1 Like

Sadly in term of speed, blender is quite slow when dealing with heavy geometry. I believe there are a lot of optimization that can be done in this area. Admitting the blender C++ developers do a focus on the environment artist workflows one day :slight_smile:

I believe your issue is loading/unloading the final mesh for the render

1 Like

Well, actually C4D has the same problem, just more solutions. I will play with Octane Scatter to check, if thats a temporary solution for me, im such cases. Also shouöd checkout how Redshift handles it. Still the viewport should be better.

So currently Blender lacks of faster rendering of huge number of instances, proxies and memory consumption of textures.
I often think it also needs a way to just display diffuse textures or a general display option for shaders, to better handle large scenes.

1 Like

Yes indeed cycles could be optimized in this area, although I believe the priority should be on the OpenGL viewport. Let’s hope that vulkan will be better in that regard.

Hi, after playing some hours with this addon, i get a little problems, when i active the addon, everything smooth except the movement of camera, idk why bc i not add anythings just active the addon and camera still slowly, i try add some particle like 400k poly, viewport still smooth, but camera still lagging by somehow, i try with blender 3.1. tks for reading

Hi

We talk about the camera dependencies in the online manual, page about optimization

There’s a bug in blender 3.0, currently this is the best way to do it, it will be slow when moving camera but you are able to tweak the update behavior

1 Like

Hi, I got a problem. The systems are set to be visible but it won’t appear in the viewport. It appeared before but I think I hit something by mistake and now it won’t show it anymore.

I use Scatter 5.1 with blender 3.0.1

Hi
Please verify if your Scatter5 collections are not hidden by mistake. This can happen sometimes because we still have the old viewlayers shortcut from 2.79. These do not make sense anymore, devs should not enable them by default imo…

So if i stay with blender 3.x, it will have that bug right? cant wait to fix that :frowning:

No I responded, if you read more carefully :slight_smile:

i try all that tips but still lagging so i thought that was bug right now, sr if i take ur time!