Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Hi! I’ve using Scatter 5.1 a lot lately in manual scatter and I love it. One issue that I’m having is that because of my viewport navigation keymap style (so called “Maya” or alt-navigation), I can’t rotate the viewport when using manual scatter mode (such as “dot placement”). I didn’t see any shortcut keys or options in the add-on preferences to allow me to fix this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Thanks
Could you specify the shortcuts you are using for navigation?

That’s a job for @carbon2 he is in charge of most of manual mode :grinning:
I think currently the shortcuts are hard-coded, not sure

Yes, I use ALT+LMB for rotating the view port, ALT+MMB for panning the viewport, and ALT+RMB for zooming the viewport. I use these somewhat “industry standard” viewport navigation keys instead of the default Blender ones (but otherwise use all of the standard Blender shortcut keys). Thanks!

hi, yes, right now manual mode is hardcoded for, say minimal blender default: only (CTRL/SHIFT+)MMB and numpad keys. and it is only passing events to blender, so if your keyconfig is different then blender default, nothing happens.
in next version it will support every applicable navigation action and all with user set keys (actually calling navigation operators instead of passing events), for example new bezier area drawing tool is already doing it, but update of manual mode brushes is slightly more complicated…

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. This sounds great. I don’t suppose you have an ETA on this update?

Thanks!

Lee

eh, sorry, i don’t… but it is going to be fixed
next release, was easier than i thought :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info/fix Jakub

@lpetty that means 5.1.1 for probably next month, depends on 3.2 release
we can give you an early WIP version if you can’t wait

Hey Dorian,

Could we have a Button in the system list, that hides all scatters in viewport in a single click?

Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Hi
Thank you a lot! i love manual mode

Could you also fix this bug ? The surface move tool is not ok with non flat surface, it looks like the projection is always done from the top and not from the brush angle somehow?

treeupdate

1 Like

Hi
Already here
It’s located in the dedicated System(s) List interface, where we can easily interact with all the created system(s)

Capture d’écran 2022-05-17 132328

2 Likes

Awesome!!

Cheers

hi, thanks!

yes, i know about it. it is more by brush design then bug. points are projected to flat plane from surface along normals on pick up, then plane is oriented by normal on destination and points are projected from plane back to surface. it does not like wild changes in surface because conversions to and from 2d… but, yes, it got to be fixed. adding on todo

2 Likes

News

Hello Everyone

A new Scatpack will be available soon,
We are making one-click to use forest biomes with the brand new Forestation pack by Bproduction @blender_now

https://twitter.com/_BD3D/status/1527042801854255104

7 Likes

great to hear. I really love the forestation assets.

I guess this is free update for existing forestation users?

Yes, the scatpack will be available on @blender_now download page once it is released, Thursday or Friday, we used the “low poly” version of the trees here (less detail on the trunk), we also made a scatter-friendly color variation shader

more info real soon… :wink:

1 Like

I love the fact I can use scatter with octane mats, so hopefully these trees will have that feature :wink:

1 Like

what are scatter-friendly color variations shader?
different colors for the trees with the same instance? :open_mouth:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s easy to do :wink:

News

Hey folks here’s the final result wih the forestation scatpack from @blender_now

6 Likes

And how is this technically working?

I always thought that instances are pointing to a specific mesh, including it’s shaders to save memory. Only scale, position and rotation can be changed per instaced.
If you also can change the shaders per instance, will this increase the memory of the instances?

I believe Blender Bob touches on how to do it in this tutorial: