Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

“Alt” work very well… I’ll just try it.
Yes I’ll use a lot Alt in Blender but I’ll don’t think it work also in Scatter 5… Great job.

For the greyed button it’s like the difference between “gimp” and “photoshop” with the selection channel color… In gimp the select channel is greyed ,some people don’t understand because in photoshop the grayed is no active.

For me in scatter I’ll really think the greyed button was inactive.

Anyway more I learn scatter 5 more I find it impressive.
Thanks

1 Like

BLENDER/3D NOOB HERE (long-winded post ahead)

Hi everyone!

First of all, I want to say “thank you” to everyone in the 3D community. As I mentioned in my heading I’m a total rookie/noob when it comes to Blender, and even 3D in general. For the past 5.5 years, I’ve worked as a corporate graphic designer, motion designer, and videographer, and I’ve only recently become very interested in the idea of incorporating 3D/AR with traditional media such as print and video in my professional workflows to provide something new and different for high-profile clients in my industry.

I’ve only started learning Blender and 3D within the last month by following Blender Guru tutorials on YouTube such as the donut, wooden chair, and currently the abandoned house tutorials. Working in 3D space is a completely different method of creative thinking than I’ve ever been taught or learned how to do, and I’m completely fascinated by the endless opportunities that is possible in 3D. With all of that said, there’s so much I don’t know about 3D and Blender and I run into some issues that I don’t understand, so I figured I’d try posting here to see if anyone might be able to help me!

I’ve attached a screenshot of the scene I’m creating with Geo-Scatter, as well as one of the error messages I received when trying to use the “Biome Scatter” function. Nothing was actually scattered from using this biome preset, and I had to use the “Density” and “Preset” scatter functions for the trees and grass assets individually.

Also, when going into “Manual Scatter,” the assets I’ve selected only scatter at the plane’s origin point regardless of which manual tool I use, and I can’t move anything with the “move” tool either.

If it helps, I’m using Blender 3.3.1 on Mac OS Monterey 12.6.1, and have the GeoScatter 5.3.1 plug-in installed along with the default scatterpack.

And finally, thank you SO MUCH to all of the people that are infinitely times smarter than I that have created such an insanely powerful and intuitive plug-in like Geo-Scatter. Even if this is the only project that I use Geo-Scatter for, it was way more than worth the purchase, and has only forced me to learn and understand Blender in ways I wouldn’t have been able to without it.

EDIT

The forum only allows new users to upload a single attachment per post, so here’s the other!

Hello

First of all, I want to say “thank you” to everyone in the 3D community. As I mentioned in my heading I’m a total rookie/noob when it comes to Blender, and even 3D in general. For the past 5.5 years, I’ve worked as a corporate graphic designer, motion designer, and videographer, and I’ve only recently become very interested in the idea of incorporating 3D/AR with traditional media such as print and video in my professional workflows to provide something new and different for high-profile clients in my industry.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Could you provide a scene where we can see this potential bug, please?
You can send us a message at the blendermarket.com

I can see two things:

• it looks like you used the simple scatter shortcut base operator, we had reports about potential bugs on this feature, and it shall be fixed shortly. For now, avoid using it in your workflow, please.
  • there are scatter object missing in your scene, it meant that you interacted with our plugin collections and removed the scatter object the plugin relies on, please delete all your system(s) & next time do not remove anything from the Scatter plugin collection
1 Like

Thank you for your reply!

1. I’ll send a message there regarding the Manual Scatter issue I’m having when I have a chance; though it might not be until tomorrow!

2. What is the “simple scatter shortcut base operator,” is that the “Density Scatter” or “Quick Scatter” option? Or is that when you click the “+” sign in the “System(s) List?”

3. I definitely forgot not to do that and originally deleted from the Collection as opposed to the System; oops!

Thank you so much for your time and patience with me trying to learn everything!

1 Like

Hi, I recently created a scene heavy based on Scatter using the library of biomes. Is there any way to randomize the green hue and saturation from the tree canopies to brake the homogeneity on large areas?
Thank you

Hello

Yes, you need to enter blender shader mode
Go in the “instancing” area, from there you will be able to select the original objects used by your scatters

It’s the Quick-Scatter operator
we will rework the code of this operator quite soon

I definitely forgot not to do that and originally deleted from the Collection as opposed to the System; oops!

Deleting a system is done via our interface :slight_smile:

Scatter inverting colors

Hello, im working on a project where im using Botaniq with Geo-Scatter. Im having a problem where the original object is the right color, but all the scattered instances have inverted colors.

Thank you in advance.
Jonas

Hello

It looks like you did not consult our online manual? :slight_smile:https://sites.google.com/view/scatter5docs/manual/troubleshooting?authuser=0#h.32y07j2s94x1

Cheers

Hi, any idea how to fix this?

WARN (blo.readfile): C:\Users\blender\git\blender-v340\blender.git\source\blender\blenloader\intern\readfile.cc:4448 link_named_part: Append: ID ‘GRFloating:Offshore’ is already linked
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\scattering\add_psy.py”, line 300, in execute
p = emitter.scatter5.add_virgin_psy( psy_name=self.psy_name, psy_color=self.psy_color, instances=instances, deselect_all=True, )
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\properties\main_settings.py”, line 111, in add_virgin_psy
geonode_coll = utils.coll_utils.create_new_collection(f"psy : {psy_name}", parent_name=“Scatter5 Geonode”, prefix=True)
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\utils\coll_utils.py”, line 58, in create_new_collection
parent.children.link(new_col)
RuntimeError: Error: Could not (un)link the collection ‘psy : DensityScatter.001’ because the collection ‘Scatter5 Geonode’ is linked

… truncatedError: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\scattering\add_psy.py”, line 300, in execute
p = emitter.scatter5.add_virgin_psy( psy_name=self.psy_name, psy_color=self.psy_color, instances=instances, deselect_all=True, )
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\properties\main_settings.py”, line 111, in add_virgin_psy
geonode_coll = utils.coll_utils.create_new_collection(f"psy : {psy_name}“, parent_name=“Scatter5 Geonode”, prefix=True)
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\utils\coll_utils.py”, line 58, in create_new_collection
RuntimeError: Error: Could not (un)link the collection ‘psy : DensityScatter.001’ because the collection ‘Scatter5 Geonode’ is linked
Location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.pTraceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\scattering\add_psy.py”, line 161, in execute
bpy.ops.scatter5.add_psy_preset(
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 113, in call
ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
geonode_coll = utils.coll_utils.create_new_collection(f"psy : {psy_name}”, parent_name=“Scatter5 Geonode”, prefix=True)
Location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:113

Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\info\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.4\scripts\addons\Scatter5\scattering\add_psy.py”, line 161, in execute
bpy.ops.scatter5.add_psy_preset(
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 113, in call
ret = _op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
geonode_coll = utils.coll_utils.create_new_collection(f"psy : {psy_name}", parent_name=“Scatter5 Geonode”, prefix=True)
Location: C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.4\3.4\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:113

Hi
It looks like linked a Geo-Scatter collections in your scene? There’s something peculiar in your scene

Yes. I linked a collection that has a Geo-Scatter within the collection. How should I do it? I want to link a collection that has particles within.

Thank you

Please link the scatter objects & not the whole collection, you can’t link anything new in a linked collection, that’s basically the error message.

Renaming the collection would solve the issue, if possible, unsure if blender allows it

Hello Dorian,

sorry to bother you again.

Is it possible to mask out the scattered area by a node in the shader editor?
For example I want to scatter a bit of grass between rocks, which are just a displacement texture.
I masked out the area using the “Map Range” Node as you can see in the picture.

Can I use this node as a mask somehow or do I have to bake it first and import it again?
I saw the different “Culling Masks” but It didnt work with “Image” or “Material Slot”.

Thank you very much and a merry christmas to you and your famliy.

Best regards,

Fabian

Hello :wave:

The only way you can extract information from blender shader space is to bake it into an image, on a chosen uv map

1 Like

Hello,

I think I found a little bug (Version 5.3.1).
The display as feature is not working as intended for me.

It still shows the placeholder object even if it is disabled in the render.

Left is the final render, right is the viewport.

When I disable the viewport shading option, the placeholder disapears in the render and the viewport.
Or am I doing anything wrong?

Cheers,

Fabian

Hello
Unsure if it is about a bug or perhaps a feature you did not understand?

Here’s the 3 possible scenarios :slight_smile:

• only the screen icon is lit up, this means that the optimization feature will only apply on the solid viewport
  • screen icon & rendered view icon are lit ups, this means that the optimization feature will only apply in the viewport (solid & rendered)
  • all icons are lit up, this means that the optimization feature will be available everywhere

If you believe you found a bug, please pass us the .blend file in DM & we will analyze this further

Hi Dorian,

that is not the case at least for me. “Display as” is also activated in the final render even if I only activate the first 2 options. The 3rd one doens’t change anything for me :thinking:
The first picture shows that only the first 2 options are checked but the render still shows proxys.

I will send you a DM with the file.

Friendly regards,

Fabian

1 Like

Hi Fabian

Thanks for the file & report
we will make sure to fix this issue once and for all in 5.3.2

2 Likes

@BD3D Hello!

I had a question on using images as Culling masks. I wasn’t quite able to get this to work.

What i’d like is actually just the opposite of what i have here-i tried hitting the reverse button and inverting the image but no luck. The idea is to have the assets populate on the dark areas of the flow map.

Any help here would be great!