Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

I’m using Scatter 5.2. I was wondering if scatter automatically performs camera frustum culling if the polygon count crosses a threshold?
I procedurally create a scene(using bpy+scatter) and take 10 render images of the scene. Some scenes come out like this.

So there are 3 scatter systems. on the same plane.

1. Light grass
  2. Dark grass
  3. Tall grass
    The location where they scattered is determined by the image texture that is added to the pattern section.
    Any help would appreciated!

Render from another camera pose(the way the scene should have looked)

Hello
I am unsure what’s the problem with your scene
Could you bit a bit more precise please? :slight_smile:

What i’d like is actually just the opposite of what i have here-i tried hitting the reverse button and inverting the image but no luck.

Hello @Adreeder
Press this button
Capture d’écran 2022-12-30 124038

My reply here is meant to show the expected render. What I expect to happen is that render should like the image in my reply, of course with the appropriate perspective changes. But for some reasons I end up getting bald spots. I can go into more details, but let me know what your preference would be b/w here, discord DM and email.

Howdy @BD3D :slight_smile:

Got your note above and yes the double arrow button does reverse the culling but not completely. In other words there are still instances showing up in areas i wanted masked. In the images below i added a color ramp to the mask texture to try an increase contrast but it didn’t help. Not sure if i have the right sample selected (i tried Greyscale and Value-no real difference in this case)
One workaround is to click the brush icon on the right of the arrow button and finish it with a vertex paint?
Also, another newbie question would be on Density-can i simply adjust the density number and leave the Count number at default? Say 1? Just a little confused as adjusting the density which is measured /sq meter dramaticaly affects the scatter as expected, but as i increase the Count nothing seems to change?

A

Hello
I’m pretty sure the map you have chosen is not entirely white :slight_smile:
if you believe it is the case, then it might be a bug, please send the file via DM and we will investigate

Hello
Please try to disable all procedural features one-by-one to see which one is interaction with the visibility
Also we made an article over troubleshooting issues right here:

Hi,

I was wondering if it’s possible to re-enter the manual mode editor after you exit in order to make edits/updates to the scatter?

Thanks!

Hello

If you want to enter manual mode you can click on the button “enter manual mode:slight_smile:

Capture d’écran 2023-01-03 153148

Hi!

I am having trouble figuring out how to rename the different scattered biomes/object systems in the system lists of Scatter 5.
In Scatter 4 this was easy to do but double clicking doesn’t work and there isnt a rename button in Scatter 5.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Hi
Double clicking on the system list interface will do the job. It’s the same behavior as native blender :slight_smile:

Hey guys, first just passing by to say once more how much I love this add-on!

Then, I’m having a really heavy scene, and I’m trying linking stuff, like Xrefs. Does anybody have tried with scatter? Is it possible from a separate file? what should be linked then? collection? :thinking:

Another thinking. I had recently a project where I needed to scatter a certain amount of stuff not touching each other. So I use the feature “limit collision” which is awesome. But the thing is that it was really hard to keep the precise count i wanted because the limit collision just remove some.
Would be awesome to have an option for this kind of specific cases?

Cheers

Hello

Exactly, please link the scatter collection :slight_smile:

If you want to precisely tweak a procedural distribution, you could convert the procedural distribution to a manual-mode distribution :smile: this is done in the distribution category menu

@BD3D
Hi there !
I’d like to share an issue (not a bug but something a bit unexpected as a user experience) concerning scene with different view layers. I searched the topic and saw the user Frugal got a similar issue.
However the post is 2 years old and is a bit different than my issue.

I’m using different view layers for compositing, one with the building, one with the terrain, and one for the sky. The issue is that if i exclude the GeoScatter collection from Building and Sky view layers, when i edit scattering in any layer (for say Terrain), the exclusion will be disabled for all view layers, making the geo scatter appears in all of them, forcing me to redisable the collection in every layer.

Is there a way you could make so it re-enables the collection only for the current viewlayer ?

Thanks !

Hi @Darknoodles
In the extra panel you will see an update category where you will be able to disable this behavior.

Ah thanks ! Totally missed that one. I was looking for something like this in the general settings.

1 Like

Whats the best workflow, if you need displacement on the ground if your scatter object ?

Work with modifiers for the displacement :slight_smile: Avoid using cycles displacement as the data will stick within the GPU & be only calculated at rendertime

Shouldn’t Geoscatter read the displacement channel in the shader of the emitter object and use it to offset the particles?
At least thats what all other 3d tools do. But I guess, another thing developers forgot to implement.
Vray for example does that perfectly. As displacement belongs to the render engine it does automatically offset every particle of a system.

Another, probably easier thing, can scattered instances inherit the color of the emitters texture?
Like particles inherit a particle color of the emitters texture, or vertex color.
This can be used in the shader object node.

But I’m not sure if thats currently possible in geometry nodes.

this channel can’t be exported easily, it needs to be baked into an image, which requires a UV ect… it has a lot of technical implications & the solution wouldn’t be universal (Luxcore/Octane ect…)

But I’m not sure if thats currently possible in geometry nodes.

Interaction from scatter to shader is an important new feature category we would like to implement, however, it looks like cycles can’t read instance attributes yet. So, right now, not possible due to blender limitation

Thanks for the feedback :slight_smile: