Geo-Scatter - 5.4 Scatter Groups

Better a solid release “late” than half baked one “on time”. :+1:

2 Likes

Just saw some vid of this addon on TWitter. This is crazy cool man!
It reminds me of Skatter for SU, i see you also got camera clipping. Do you already have a lost of possible features and such?

PS you made this thing very ffast, did you do all by yourself? I noticed release date is quite soon

1 Like

@BD3D I’ve installed this plugin on Blender 2.8 on MacOS 10.14.6, and I’m getting the following error, when clicking on the “Import/Export Folder” button in the preferences:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/juretriglav/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.80/scripts/addons/Scatter_V1_15.py", line 2202, in execute
    os.startfile(scatter_preset_directory)
AttributeError: module 'os' has no attribute 'startfile'

Maybe this will help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/17317219/is-there-an-platform-independent-equivalent-of-os-startfile

Good luck with your awesome addon!

1 Like

Yep this will be fixed this weekend.
os.startfile is windows only, i didn’t knew that, my collaborator carbon is on mac os, expect a fully working version soon :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the support.

Do you already have a lost of possible features and such?

Yup

did you do all by yourself?

yes except for the point cloud system.
Also, this addon is an automation system, i didn’t wrote a new particle system from scratch like the guys of Skatter did. ( as a python addon it was not possible anyway )

3 Likes

Hi. I have an for realtime rendering optimized mesh like so.

The quad version has same resolution. 2tris = one quad.
The orange selected resolution of the gras is the max for holding 60fps in game. The unselected is the road. The Box the Car.

Some of your modificators require an higher mesh resolution.
Is it somehow possible to avoid this.
When i subdivide and splat and a i go back to this resolution the splats fit not anymore.
When I subdivide to the level i can splat there is no good realtime performance possible anymore for later use.

Do you see a way to make it work without the need of subdividing as much?

Another solution i am searching is to use your noise, whats quite powerful on the orange selected gras meshes.
Is there a way to fit the borders to the road mesh.
Needs no displace there.
So the noise texture would need an overlayed circular falloff to 0 when it comes to the borders.

When it helps i could isolate you an gras, road mesh out of the scenario.

Where did you get the addon to try?

This is the last version from this thread. UPDATE 1.15
It s fast grown up.)

and here some nice testdata and explanation for the boolean. Only use the test.rar from here.

UUUh.You must click on the right down arrows or the blue Scatter from both linked fields to unfold.
When i click somewhere else my chrome crashes.)

hi

I published all major work in progress update on this topic. You can scroll up to check old version.

Next update will be final release on the market :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks i did see a wetransfer, but that was old.

PS why you want to make the particles real mesh? why not let blender handle this?

Holy moly! Ths thread is on fire! Can’t really keep up with all the new stuff and comments, even after staying away for a couple of days. :slight_smile:

This is going to be one killer addon, and I love that management system. :+1:

1 Like

I’m trying to change a preset in real time (Version 1.15) but particles are not refreshed…I’m making some greenery with preset “Cluster Grass L” and next i want to change my greenery distribution and i’m chosing a “Text Cow” - there is no change in my greenery distribution. How to refresh particles to see a new choosen preset?

Hi. There’s the refresh button in the addon pref / preset category just for that.

I suspect that this is when the user change add or remove things in the __scatter__ folder, in this case, hitting the refresh button is mandatory. If it was not please tell me :slightly_smiling_face:

Let me know if that was the case and if hitting the refresh button resolved the problème

I found only one button titled “Refresh Terrain” under TOOLS category in addon. But it doesn’t work :frowning:

No it’s in the addon preference, next to the folder button. Just click the little gear icon on the top of the panel.

1 Like

I probably described my problem in a wrong way…
I created plane, and i make a cube. In Your addon i choose my plane as terrain and my cube as a proxy.
I make some choice in presets - "Text Cow " and i clicked “SCATTER”. Everything is fine in this case - my cube is distributed on plane with “Text Cow” preset.
Here is my problem - i clicked on my cubes distributed on plane, and i want to change a preset for them. It’s something like in Forest Pack Pro - i want to scatter my proxy with other preset and i want to see it in real time. Just click on preset and i see what is going on with my cubes on plane, if it’s not ok for me, that i’m clicking on next preset and i’m looking again what’s going on with my particles.

i see. this is an interesting idea. i’ll try to pull this out before the release.

1 Like

And i tried to use Camera Clipping - it’s working pretty well :slight_smile: But it’s some little “error” or “bug” - when i use Camera Clipping than i see that particles are distributed in new places…There is problem for animations - particles should be stable in their positions after Camera Clipping (only unnecessary particles should be hidden, not distributed in new way).

didn’t get it ?

do you talk about the density not being consistent ? i already reported this as being a ‘flaw’ for blender devs.